GPS geotagging for D51000

Ali_334

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to get the D51000 to add location info to the image files.

I could use something like this: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Micnova-GPS-Geotagger-for-Nikon/dp/B00CK907IY/

But

1. I need the hotshoe for flash. I use flash constantly, particularly for filler for daylight portraits.

2. These hotshoe geotaggers need to connect to the camera via a micro usb cable to the side of the camera. And the cable sticking out of the side of the camera is notoriously prone to breakage. I am going to rough outdoor terrain overseas.

What do you use for geotagging? Somewhere I heard there is a geotagger that hangs from the strap. But haven't been able to find info about that.

What do you use for geotagging?

I am frugal. After I take my shots, I simply take a shot with my cell phone. The cell phone tags the shot with GSP data. When I get home, I simply synchronize the GSP data on the cell phone image to the image(s) I took with my DSLR in Lightroom. It may not be accurate enough for land survey or giving evidence in court, but it is accurate enough for my purposes. As long as the clock on the DSLR is set to the same time as your cell phone, the images will appear together in Lightroom Grid View making synchronization easy.

Hello, I found this item on ebay: Photo GPS Receiver Geotagger for Nikon Camera 4260208051112 | eBay Picture shows it can be attached to strap.

I am not sure how it then it gets its power if not attached to hotshoe.

I wrote to seller to find out.

The first one you linked to can also be put on the strap and is likely powered through the USB connection.

Never heard of the accessory shoe delivering power - but I live in the past, so who knows.

Niels

The first one you linked to can also be put on the strap and is likely powered through the USB connection.

Never heard of the accessory shoe delivering power - but I live in the past, so who knows.

oh, then I was mistaken. I assumed power comes from hotshoe but cming from the cable makes more sense.

I am frugal. After I take my shots, I simply take a shot with my cell phone. The cell phone tags the shot with GSP data. When I get home, I simply synchronize the GSP data on the cell phone image to the image(s) I took with my DSLR in Lightroom. It may not be accurate enough for land survey or giving evidence in court, but it is accurate enough for my purposes. As long as the clock on the DSLR is set to the same time as your cell phone, the images will appear together in Lightroom Grid View making synchronization easy.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Your method would be accurate enough for my purposes too.

So you put both the images from your cell phone and the images shot on your SLR into the SAME directory on your PC in order to see the images together. Am i following you correctly? Then how do you import the location data from the cell phone into SLR images?

I am not sure how it then it gets its power if not attached to hotshoe.

No camera hotshoe supplies power. Therefore the device must get its power from the USB connection, with absolutely no need for it to be fitted to the hotshoe - apart from positioning it optimally to receive the GPS satellite signals.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Your method would be accurate enough for my purposes too.

So you put both the images from your cell phone and the images shot on your SLR into the SAME directory on your PC in order to see the images together. Am i following you correctly? Then how do you import the location data from the cell phone into SLR images?

As I wrote, I do the synchronization in Lightroom; it has the ability to synchronize metadata among images. If you do not use Lightroom, or a DAM with like functionality, you cannot use this method.

If you are using Lightroom, the Grid View displays images based on date and time. If the date/timestamp on the images you take with the DSLR and you phone are close to each other i.e., the DSLR and your phone show the same time, or close to it, the images will be near each other in the Grid View of Lightroom (if you are displaying All Photographs).

• Like 1

Any reason why it couldn't do it via WiFi?

Probably because it would need a huge re-write of the camera's firmware.

Enabling external GPS tagging in a Nikon camera simply sets the camera to expect NMEA 'sentences' to pour in via the USB connector or 10 pin connector - depending on the level of camera.

Whereas I believe that the WiFi is set up to be (mainly) transmit, in order to transfer data from the camera to an external device.

The NMEA protocol transmits a fairly slow but continuous serial stream of data, and this would require 're-packaging' into the packet system of TCP/IP and then decoding by the camera upon receipt. Fairly trivial, but requiring extra firmware coding to acheive.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

Probably because it would need a huge re-write of the camera's firmware.

Enabling external GPS tagging in a Nikon camera simply sets the camera to expect NMEA 'sentences' to pour in via the USB connector or 10 pin connector - depending on the level of camera.

Whereas I believe that the WiFi is set up to be (mainly) transmit, in order to transfer data from the camera to an external device.

The NMEA protocol transmits a fairly slow but continuous serial stream of data, and this would require 're-packaging' into the packet system of TCP/IP and then decoding by the camera upon receipt. Fairly trivial, but requiring extra firmware coding to acheive.

Nikon did a surprisingly good job with the Z series. My Z6ii captures GPS data from my iPhone via SnapBridge seamlessly - as long as my phone is within reach of my phone, I don’t have to do anything.

My Fujifilm app on the other hand is completely idiotic when it come to sending location data to my X100f.

Niels

Nikon did a surprisingly good job with the Z series.

Good to hear that.

Enabling external GPS tagging in a Nikon camera simply sets the camera to expect NMEA 'sentences' to pour in via the USB connector or 10 pin connector

Then I should amend that to read "... in a Nikon DSLR camera..."

So what is the simplest solution for GEOTAGing images for a Nikon DSLR? - just purchase a used D5300? I've read this thread and 1,000 others and can't find a rec. that isn't buggy. FWIW my current bodies are D60 and D700 and there's no way I'm going to geotag these. I actually tried to buy a D7500 recently but body only is out of stock everywhere. Just how complicated is setting up i-phone and Photoshop (I prefer ACR to LIghtroom)? Seems like Nikon was on to something with the D5300 then abandoned it.

I've used a geotagging device on a D700 and D800, and it's not difficult. Once the device is attached and locked to satellites, it automatically feeds the camera with positional data. Then you just enable GPS in the camera menu, and away it goes. All without further fuss.

The GPS data will even set the camera time and date for you, with atomic clock precision.

• Like 1