Speedlights speed

parker_levinson

I have seen myself a 550 EX on an EOS 3 shooting at 7 fps. I just couldn't believe my eyes. However, this was only possible with an external battery pack (I don't recall its name; it wasn't the high voltage transistor pack, it was a small battery pack taking 6 AAs).<br>

But the flash was set on E-TTL, so it operated at just a fraction of its power. I don't think it would have worked that fast at full power.

<I>"i was wondering if any speedlight flash will keep up with 4fps on the recycle time?"</I>

<P>

Yes, any Speedlite will keep up with 4fps (and even a whole lot faster). All you have to do is force it to use very low power bursts by either selecting manual 1/64 to 1/128 power or using TTL (or E-TTL, or A-TTL) while the subject is very close. Using a high voltage power pack will enable the flash to keep it up for a longer series, but even with AA's the flash will keep up for a few bursts.

The 540 and the 550 with the Quantum Turbo keeps pace with

my 1D at full chat for around 12 frames, at 10 feet at F11 at

200ISO.

With At full power it takes around a second to recharge, from

around 1/8th power it should keep up with 4fps.

Paul Burgman

Note that it isn't recommended to fire LONG sequences of full power bursts at high repetition rates even with an external pack.

Speedlites are not designed to cope with the heat generated by continuous operation at full power. Luckily, in normal use, this is very unlikely to happen since you'll either run out of film or fill your digital buffer before the flash self-destructs.