OT: eyecup for Contax iia or iiia for glasses-wearer?

OT: any leica members here who know of a solution to getting an

eyecup for the Contax iia/iiia viewfinder? Mine keeps scratching my

glasses. Was wondering if there are any eyecup/protection made for

other cameras that would fit. If you have any experience with this,

your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I've only seen 1 eyecup on a Contax IIa/IIIa & that was on a IIa that was being sold on eB*y sometime last year. Since I didn't buy it, I have no idea what it was made of or who manufactured it. None of my Zeiss Ikon catalogs list an eyecup, but that doesn't mean that they never made 1. You might want to post your question to the experts on the Zeiss Ikon Collectors Group list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZICG/).

FYI, your Contax originally came w/a black enamel ring that screwed onto the eyepiece. This ring scratches eyeglasses much less than the bare chrome eyepiece threads. Unfortunately, these rings are missing on most Contaxes I've seen & I've never them being sold separately anywhere. However, the same rings were used on the eyepieces for other post-WWII Zeiss Ikon cameras (e.g., Super Ikontas) & accessory finders (e.g., the 21mm finder for the 21/4.5 Biogon), so if you're lucky enough to find a camera or finder w/the its original ring, you can always borrow it for use on your Contax.

I think an eyecup may put your eye to far from the eyepiece if you are wearing glasses, and you wouldn't see the full frame. As a glasses wearer I just cut a circle of sticky backed felt/baize material into a circle and stuck it on the metal surround on my Contax II eyepiece. It works fine.

How does the size of that occular compare with that of the Leica M? Larry Welker now sells screw-in rubber eyecups for all Leica M cameras. They have a ring inside the eyecup [somethings got to have the threads to screw it in] but there's no way for it to scratch your lenses. That's what its for - to protect eyeglasses. It works great. If you can get the measurements for what you need, then ask him. Check here:

http://www.quickreleaseplate.com/

Nobu, I had the same problem with my M4's and had it fixed by sticking on a vinyl ring which I bought from Stephen Gandy at $10 for 2. I haven't my Contaxes with me at the moment, so cannot say whether they are of the same size as my M4. You can have a look in Stephen's website at www.cameraquest.com. Look up the section on Accessories.