Nikon DSLR - RIP?

I’m sure I’ll be able to buy used DSLR bodies for some time. The major manufacturers unfortunately have dropped support for nearly everything after a few years and I doubt that will change. I have no interest at all in ditching everything and starting all over again, mirrorless isn’t showing me anything groundbreaking and I see no need for it. In my lifetime we have gone from well built long lasting cameras and lenses to equipment that isn’t expected to be around more than 4-5 years. It seems to be a trend in all markets and that’s a sad state of affairs.

Rick H.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, and way back in 1985 it was only a matter of time before flat screens replaced big ol’ TV boxes with tubes and before streaming, for the most, replaced VCRs. Anyone trying to hold back technological advance is going to be sorely disappointed as is anyone trying to reign in capitalistic corporate greed and built-in obsolescence.

Some parts nostalgia and wishful thinking and some parts realism, in whatever balance one can effectively live with and still make photos, if desired, is probably warranted. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

In the future all pictures will be taken via your variable focal length contact lenses. They will be stored in supplementary memory implants in your brain where AI chips will do automatic processing for later instant recall and/or Wifi connection to display and communication devices for transmission to friends, family etc. Oh and some of us old fuddy duddys will also be able to transmit the images to an automated printer for a good old fashioned hard copy to decorate our habitation modules.

Now tell me I'm wrong ! 😧

Edited by tony_leinster