A Stand for Macro Photography

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these, used and at a fraction of the new price, mistakenly thinking it was a macro stand. Turns out it was meant as a nodal-slide for panoramas - insert red face emoji here - but it does offer two-axis micro positioning slides. With the added bonus of parallax-free panoramas! 

Now I just need to add the articulated arms and super-clamps.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:37 AM, rodeo_joe1 said:

I bought one of these, used and at a fraction of the new price, mistakenly thinking it was a macro stand. Turns out it was meant as a nodal-slide for panoramas - insert red face emoji here - but it does offer two-axis micro positioning slides. With the added bonus of parallax-free panoramas! 

Now I just need to add the articulated arms and super-clamps.

Looks like the plate adjustment is not geared. Could be a pain for macro work.

Test

On 11/9/2022 at 10:21 PM, Edwin Barkdoll said:

Looks like the plate adjustment is not geared. Could be a pain for macro work.

No, it's geared. You just can't see the adjustment knobs in that catalogue picture because they're at the ends of the slides furthest from the camera.

IMG_20221114_112354.thumb.jpg.55b094896025a1b98c8fdd068c957b82.jpg

However, the design is far from perfect. The measurement scale is backwards and reads from full-nodal offset upwards (durrh!) and the rotation scale doesn't read from zero at certain pre-detented increment settings. 

However, it was bought 2nd hand, so I can't be sure that this was how it was setup out of the factory, but every bolt has been Lok-tighted into place and now firmly resists dismantling to reset anything. Ah well, it was extremely cheap considering the new price. 🥴

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1