ORWO coming back.

If you'd ignore the films already in production.

Actually all their films are only for preorder, noting available yet.

I don't shoot film, just remember brand name. I was young when I last seen ORWO in the store last time:)

May be I will dust off my Pentax SP500.

As a projectionist for a university film program 30+ years ago, I used to dread prints from eastern bloc countries made on ORWO film stock. They would frequently break in the projector and seemed to have a poorer tonal range than other films. While I still shoot some film I'm not the least bit tempted by anything ORWO.
  • Like 1

UN54 has been available for some time, though not in retail shops. The only real news is that NP100 will be in DX coded cassettes and have the extra layer.

I cannot mobilize excitement over re-marketing of inferior film products due to perceived profitability from the revived interest in film.

In the B&W space, Kodak, Ilford and Foma covers all the bases of quality and economy.

I will applaud anyone who brings something better or something as good but cheaper to the market, but that doesn’t seem to be what is coming from ORWO.

• Like 1
Niels

UN54 has been available for some time, though not in retail shops. The only real news is that NP100 will be in DX coded cassettes and have the extra layer.

I cannot mobilize excitement over re-marketing of inferior film products due to perceived profitability from the revived interest in film.

In the B&W space, Kodak, Ilford and Foma covers all the bases of quality and economy.

I will applaud anyone who brings something better or something as good but cheaper to the market, but that doesn’t seem to be what is coming from ORWO.

Somehow people still buying LOMO cameras.

I

Somehow people still buying LOMO cameras.

Yes. - and their repackaged films.

I don’t think their cameras pose a problem, but I wish people would support the serious film manufacturers.

There are many ways to make a good film bad, but no way to make a bad film good.

Niels

For a time, they sold film in India and SP was kind enough to send me some.

It had a strange kind of high contrast, perhaps the missing layer?

Of course it was nice to be able to shoot it in the DDR cameras:rolleyes:

I'm glad it's back, for whatever reason. This is a news story about the name and the situation:

ORWO-announcement-1964-10-MP.jpg.210640e75ba4912b00bcaf36a79a48cf.jpg

I think the "embarrassment" was trademark pressure from the Wessis.

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

DX coding ISO 100? Isn't ISO 100 the default assumption for uncoded cassettes? Or which cameras chose something different?

I think you are right. Not a big deal here - although DX includes information about film length and exposure latitude as well. I don't know if any cameras makes meaningful use of that information.

DX will be more important for their planned NP400 (likely N74 with antihalation layer).

• Like 1
Niels