there, people who may have had years of satisfaction out of their

Kiev.

Also, I bought a single coated CZJ Biometar 80mm lens, would I be

better off using a multi-coated Hoya skylight filter with this lens

or not?

Thanks

John

Hello John

For answers from genuine Kiev users, have a look at www.kievaholic.com and try the Kievreport forum on www.delphiforums.com.

There are indeed long-time Kiev users out there and they have their own, very helpful and supportive, forum.

Regards, Ross

John,

My Kiev 60 has been the backup for my Mamiya 7 and has saved the day several times when the M7's shutter didn't fire (low battery, bad contact on the dark slide, you name it). Recently I've been using it to shoot 35mm film in full panorama. It's the only MF I have (and I have about 15 different MFs: M645, Rolleiflex 2.8F3, Yashicamat, Bessa, etc. etc. etc.) that lets me do this without much effort.

You treat the camera well and it will reward you with good pictures. Of course, I have the flocked version with mirror lockup and reworked shutter from Kievcamera.com. Hartblei and DVDTech make good ones, too. Make sure to carry a good light meter with you.

Oh, and I prefer the Arsat 80mm (flocked as I had described before) over the old Zeiss 80mm. Sharper and more contrasty. If you bought an Arsat 30mm fisheye for $150 you won't believe your eyes. Huge bang for the money.

I bought mine about two years ago and have used it quite often (although something stopped me from bringing it and my Sonnar 180mm f2.8 to the top of Half-Dome lately, I tried to put it in my backpack and decided... to take my Fuji 670 instead!). I use it mainly for portrait shots (with the 180mm) and landscape (with a Flektogon 50mm). So far, so good, I treat it with some care (especially when I wind the film) and everything is fine. I even had the pleasing surprise to find that the meter was accurate enough one day that I forgot my hand-held meter. I really like those inexpensive Zeiss Jena lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a long time user of the Kiev 60 and 88.

A single coated CZJ lens needs a lens shade. Always use the lens shade. The skylight is not needed like a lens shade is needed.

If Kiev 60 works fine throught the first 10 rolls, it should go on working a very long time.

I have used them at -20f in a snow storm. (Yes the camera did work properly.)

If I need a focal plane shutter MF, I use the Kiev MF cameras. I think it is an underated camera. The important thing to remember is the camera is all manual and not electronic. With proper CLAs from a skilled repairman it will keep going for many years. It is classic example of not a beautiful design, but a design that works.

I trust a Kiev 60 or 88 to come through as much as any Mf camera.

By the way when not using a Kiev, I am using a Rolleiflex 6008 Professional (late model with 1/1000). The Hft lenses are better, but not by much over a CZJ MC lens. Sometime the noise of the 6008's drive is to much. In those cases, the Kiev is used and has never let me down.

• 1 year later...
I have a 60 and a 6C. They have served me well for 4 or 5 years now. If you adjust the film spacing properly, you should have no real problems. Its major disadvantages are that it is big, clunky and heavy, and once you stat a roll of film you can't switch films like with the Kiev 88CM. The comparrison has been made to a 35mm on steroids and I think that is an apt one. If you buy one, get a new one by Hartblei or Arax. They also make MLU versions. Be sure to buy from a reputable dealer and get a warranty.

My Kiev 6C [the model before your 60] is over 20 years old. Works perfectly. My Kiev 60C is 10 years old. Works perfectly. If it works when you get it then short of running it over with a tank it'll keep working. It's not like the camera is overly complicated.

Use a shade.

• 9 months later...
I have owned mine for about 5 years. I had the whole system (camera and lenses) serviced (normal CLA) and everything works like a champ. The key to any prolonged use is to have a normal service (CLA) program. I do this with my Nikon digital bodies and lenses as well as my Kiev system and I have no trouble.

• 2 weeks later...