Kodak Professional Gold 200, 120 format

Too little too late.

What do you mean? Too little too late for what? To save Kodak Alaris?

I think a new, lower-priced colour C-41 option for medium format shooters, in a useful ISO, from a very trusted name in the film world is a great thing. What's not to like?

Hmmm. 120 Portra 160 is C$18.60 in Toronto this afternoon. If 120 Gold 200 is 25% cheaper, then it looks to be just under 14 bucks a roll--same price as a 36exp roll of Gold 200. Then of course Kodak will likely announce second quarter price increases soon...Guess the "savings" will buy you an Americano.

Kodak is reviving Kodak Gold 200 for medium format cameras

Too little too late? Curious what its reception will be aside from the usual gush from influencers and brand ambassadors.

Somehow doubt this will lift Kodak share prices.

Edited by c_watson|1

What do you mean? Too little too late for what? To save Kodak Alaris?

I think a new, lower-priced colour C-41 option for medium format shooters, in a useful ISO, from a very trusted name in the film world is a great thing. What's not to like?

The ship's sailed. Great news for the novelty-niche-residual market that film photography is today. It's unlikely, though, that it will unseat Portra materials for 120 money shots.

Not exactly an inducement to get into MF when prices for reliable pro system cameras are high and going up steadily.

The Gold "look" isn't unobtainable in post. Besides, what makes it likable in 135 just might not make it in 120. That was certainly the case with long-gone 120 Fuji Superia.

I still don't really get your point. A new film option - colour, C-41, 120, useful ISO, cheaper, trusted brand - there are literally no cons to this.

And, just now over at emulsive.org, another piece of positive news:

https://emulsive.org/articles/news/a-new-everyday-film-from-cinestill-400dynamic-in-35mm-and-120-format

Beats the hell out of price increase and discontinuation announcements.

If it is the old GPX, it is a welcome reintroduction.

GPX, exposed at ISO 100, was a great film. Portra is too, but different. Too muted for some, hence the Portra VC variant (which i do not like). They should have kept GPX instead.

The aim of having different films, C_watson, is not to have one compete with the other so that one is driven out of the market. It is to have a choice, a film for different purposes.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

I still don't really get your point. A new film option - colour, C-41, 120, useful ISO, cheaper, trusted brand - there are literally no cons to this.

And, just now over at emulsive.org, another piece of positive news:

https://emulsive.org/articles/news/a-new-everyday-film-from-cinestill-400dynamic-in-35mm-and-120-format

Beats the hell out of price increase and discontinuation announcements.

Ever shot any Cinestill materials? Seems to be a bit hit-or-miss with those Vision3 film stocks stripped of remjet for C-41 processing.

What makes you think Kodak won't jack prices in Q2-3 2022?

Doubt this will boost Kodak share values.

Ever shot any Cinestill materials? Seems to be a bit hit-or-miss with those Vision3 film stocks stripped of remjet for C-41 processing.

Do you have any hard evidence to back your thoughts and doubts about what the future will bring? Or just more grump?

• Like 1

Yes, I sometimes shoot Cinestill 800T. Needs the 85 filter in daylight, yes. I have 800T loaded in my Noblex camera right now.

Sure, prices may go up in the future. What's your point? I'm supposed to be glum today because of that?

I am not interested in Kodak's share price. Things seem to be going well enough for new emulsions/formats to be introduced - that's good in my book. Beyond that, I don't really care about their investors.

These are really odd contributions to the film forum.

• Like 1

Yes, I sometimes shoot Cinestill 800T. Needs the 85 filter in daylight, yes. I have 800T loaded in my Noblex camera right now.

Sure, prices may go up in the future. What's your point? I'm supposed to be glum today because of that?

I am not interested in Kodak's share price. Things seem to be going well enough for new emulsions/formats to be introduced - that's good in my book. Beyond that, I don't really care about their investors.

These are really odd contributions to the film forum.

Those pesky intrusive realities again, right?

Those pesky intrusive realities again, right?

mmm, no. Just incoherent, non-arguments.

There are some new films for me to enjoy. Thought I'd share that with the film community here. What reality am I missing? I really REALLY don't get what point you are trying to make. It would be nice if you listed, directly, some of the cons you see with Kodak's new product offering. Other than potential future price increases. I fully expect prices to rise in the future. What difference does that make today??

Edited by Colin O

There are some new films for me to enjoy. Thought I'd share that with the film community here. What reality am I missing?

Oh, sweet summer child. Didn't you get the memo? The film forum isn't for people who use and appreciate film. It's for people to post pessimistic opinions of its demise.

• Like 2

mmm, no. Just incoherent, non-arguments.

There are some new films for me to enjoy. Thought I'd share that with the film community here. What reality am I missing? I really REALLY don't get what point you are trying to make. It would be nice if you listed, directly, some of the cons you see with Kodak's new product offering. Other than potential future price increases. I fully expect prices to rise in the future. What difference does that make today??

I'm guessing you don't have a business degree and/or any sense of Kodak's travails over the past decade? Kodak needs to make money to stay afloat. Please show me any "buy" recommendations for its stock. This product likely won't change that. Buy all you can--Gold 200 120, that is. Kodak Moments--famous for photo mugs and photo fridge magnets--seems to managing it. Brilliant.

So, ultimately, your argument is that you think Kodak is going out of business? Brilliant :facepalm:

I really wonder how you became so bitter about it - I can only guess you lost money on Kodak investments yourself.

You'll notice from my profile that I'm coming up on 20 years on this site, so I'm quite aware of all Kodak has gone through over recent years, and how they've structured their film business now.

I'll come back to this thread and hold my hands up when you're proved right. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the film they are selling me, including this new one.

• Like 1

So, ultimately, your argument is that you think Kodak is going out of business? Brilliant :facepalm:

I really wonder how you became so bitter about it - I can only guess you lost money on Kodak investments yourself.

You'll notice from my profile that I'm coming up on 20 years on this site, so I'm quite aware of all Kodak has gone through over recent years, and how they've structured their film business now.

I'll come back to this thread and hold my hands up when you're proved right. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the film they are selling me, including this new one.

Bitter? Try realistic. A dive into Kodak financials might give you pause. Agreed, I'd drink up while Kodak materials are still being served at bearable prices. Romance aside, the company is stalled and needs work on capital structure. Briefly enlivened by a possible pharmaceutical future, it's now back to where it was, searching for a way to reliably boost sales and earnings. But don't let that trouble you.

Bitter? Try realistic. A dive into Kodak financials might give you pause. Agreed, I'd drink up while Kodak materials are still being served at bearable prices. Romance aside, the company is stalled and needs work on capital structure. Briefly enlivened by a possible pharmaceutical future, it's now back to where it was, searching for a way to reliably boost sales and earnings. But don't let that trouble you.

The question that wants an answer is why it troubles you so much that you even deny the turn of the market?

What makes it "Professional"?

Because it is in 120 rolls? or is it different from 35mm Gold 200?

As far as I know, at least for color films, professional means not aged.

When E6 films were new, the professional ones came out first, as it took some

time for the aging. It seems that now, though, they are close to all professional.

• Like 1

-- glen

As far as I know, at least for color films, professional means not aged.

When E6 films were new, the professional ones came out first, as it took some

time for the aging. It seems that now, though, they are close to all professional.

The opposite.

Amateur film was expected to spend considerable time on shelves and such, and was shipped before it was 'ripe'. Professional film was and is expected to be used shortly after purchase, and if not, stored in refrigerators. So professional films were sold when (nearly) 'ripe', and kept in refrigeration in shops.

Still, the thing to do was to buy in bulk (from one production batch), and test periodically. When tests showed the film was at its optimum, it all went into the freezer.

I'm guessing you don't have a business degree and/or any sense of Kodak's travails over the past decade? Kodak needs to make money to stay afloat. Please show me any "buy" recommendations for its stock. This product likely won't change that. Buy all you can--Gold 200 120, that is. Kodak Moments--famous for photo mugs and photo fridge magnets--seems to managing it. Brilliant.

Look, you grump about film constantly. Take your whining elsewhere…it isn’t what this forum is for.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Many younger people who shoot 120 have been asking for Gold 200 in 120 for a long while now. I too will be using this film, though Im much older. I like the look from Gold. Pricing for this has been bungled since Kodak released it. It was $50 a 5 pak, then 45. Some places had it for 40, then went to 42. Prices of Portra 160 at the time were 50, but I noticed some places raised the prices to make it seem like you are getting a deal on Gold 200. Seems shifty if you ask me. Its the middlemen that are screwing with the prices on this stuff (distributors).