Photo Kit to Die For ? ? ?.

I found this in a Junk Shop , paid the equivalent of about 2 (two) American Dollars for it.

Resistance to buying it was futile :D.

I will post some pictures when , and if , I can get it working.

IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.e8a765fd9ce023902d091b1896e20c91.JPG

This picture taken with a Canon PowerShot G1X.

• Like 3

I found this in a Junk Shop , paid the equivalent of about 2 (two) American Dollars for it.

Resistance to buying it was futile :D.

I will post some pictures when , and if , I can get it working.

[ATTACH=full]1421000[/ATTACH]

This picture taken with a Canon PowerShot G1X.

We need to see a selfy to judge. Do not use a Powershot, but put the Cool-iCam in front of a mirror.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ok , this camera will not work with my present computer.

I will have to find an old , working , Windows 98 computer from somewhere in order to be able to use it , this may take some time.

look up emulator software, COULD be able to do a partition on the ol hard drive or SSD put win98 on it,, if you can find a copy of win 98

• Like 1

Ok , this camera will not work with my present computer.

I will have to find an old , working , Windows 98 computer from somewhere in order to be able to use it , this may take some time.

If you are running Windows 10 on your computer, insert the camera software disk, open File Explorer, navigate to the software disk, RIGHT click on the install program, and select "Troubleshoot compatibility" in the drop-down menu. Windows 10 will then attempt to run the install in a compatibility mode. Once the program is installed, navigate to the install directory, usually found in Programs(x86), RIGHT click on the program, and once again select "Troubleshoot compatibility". Now see if it will run.

Let us know how it works, please.

• Like 1

If you are running Windows 10 on your computer, insert the camera software disk, open File Explorer, navigate to the software disk, RIGHT click on the install program, and select "Troubleshoot compatibility" in the drop-down menu. Windows 10 will then attempt to run the install in a compatibility mode. Once the program is installed, navigate to the install directory, usually found in Programs(x86), RIGHT click on the program, and once again select "Troubleshoot compatibility". Now see if it will run.

Let us know how it works, please.

Thanks for the tip , I will try this when I have a little more time.

I am using Windows Vista , but will try anyway.

Doesn't work as a Win98 compatible program in Vista.

However I still think that this is an interesting little "toy" camera just to have.

Thankfully I have not lost a lot of money on this purchase however :D.

Once again the shortcomings of electronics is evident.

Oh-----the "throwaway" times that we live in :(.

• 3 weeks later...

Old 32 bit Windows software just will not run on anything newer than 32 bit XP - even using a so-called compatibility mode. (Basically, Win 95 & 98 era programs were DOS programs running behind a GUI facade) Although you can run an old OS in a virtual machine and maybe it'll work then. There's also an issue with old and unsigned drivers that might not be compatible with more recent hardware, even via a virtual machine.

I came across a dual-purpose still/webcam camera like that and managed to get it working as a - poor quality - webcam. It was years ago and I can't remember if got access to the stored still pictures or not. The low-res (sub?) VGA sensor and poor quality lens just didn't make investing time in it worthwhile.

To get the webcam function working try the Kye/Genius "eye 110" driver and software from Logitech's website.

• Like 1

Actually, the problem with old Windows software is often the installer, not the software itself. While recent versions of Windows (whether 32 or 64-bit) still retain the 32-bit compatibility subsystem and will run 32-bit software just fine, they dropped the 16-bit compatibility subsystem in all 64-bit versions of Windows and made it an optional extra in 32-bit versions post XP.

The problem is, a lot of software from around the turn of the millennium actually used a 16-bit installer stub, presumably to ensure it would at least start the install on any PC going back to the Windows 3.1 era? Anyway, it is frequently possible to get around the problem by replacing the 16-bit installer with a later 32-bit version - all the installer does is copy files and update the registry, it has nothing to do with the program itself.

Source of this knowledge? Persuading CAD-CAM software that is still 'current' (ha) to work on modern PCs!

My father had something similar, Vivitar I think, 640x480, used it for years, did a passable job and actually better than the first mobile phones with cameras.

• Like 1