.jpg file (378 KB) too large to process?

mikemorrell

I occasionally come across this problem when trying to upload cropped .jpg photos (1200 x 800 pixels) to a thread. Although the image file doesn't seem to me to be very large - in this case 378 KB - I get the error message: 'File too large to process'. I reduce the file size even further and that always works. I just wonder why 378 KB is ''too large to process'. Is this just a quirk that occasionally happens?

871569347_Filetoolarge.thumb.jpg.3851fff8d37e2f7fd6e0d6fdda436d8f.jpg

1571626183_File378KB.jpg.9a3de50b33096812655ca2e0f92f22aa.jpg

Is this just a quirk that occasionally happens?

I think so.

We have discussed this before, I can't find the threads, however I recall I have mentioned my solution - add the image to your portfolio and insert the image using the 'image' icon in the 'reply to thread' banner and insert the url of your portfolio image.

Does that make sense?

WW

• Like 1

Posting images using the portfolio (or flickr as I often do) gives the poster more freedom to remove pictures in the future.

While that may be a good thing for the poster, it also may cause a valuable thread to become useless when a user knowingly or not removes an image from the hosting platform.

Since photo.net is not set up to comply with EU law regarding "the right to be forgotten", I personally find some comfort in at least having control over the pictures I insert, but for the greater good of this site, uploading for permanent inclusion in the thread is preferable.

Niels

This "too large to process" issue has been discussed before. It's a bug and you just have to repeat uploading the file until it's accepted - I normally find that the second attempt to upload is successful. You don't have to reduce the file size, as long as it's below 1MB it should be OK.
  • Like 3

We have discussed this before, I can't find the threads, however I recall I have mentioned my solution - add the image to your portfolio and insert the image using the 'image' icon in the 'reply to thread' banner and insert the url of your portfolio image.

This is a good solution. I also find that it usually just takes a second (and in rare cases, a third) try to upload directly from computer. When I get that message, I refresh the page and upload again directly from my computer, usually successful this time.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

No, it ain’t. The code needs to change.

Yes, of course it’s important that the code be changed. I was offering help to those in need until that happens. If I had control over code changes, I’d do it. In the meantime, I can offer next best solutions to help people cope right now.

"You talkin' to me?"

Posting images using the portfolio (or flickr as I often do) gives the poster more freedom to remove pictures in the future.

While that may be a good thing for the poster, it also may cause a valuable thread to become useless when a user knowingly or not removes an image from the hosting platform.

Since photo.net is not set up to comply with EU law regarding "the right to be forgotten", I personally find some comfort in at least having control over the pictures I insert, but for the greater good of this site, uploading for permanent inclusion in the thread is preferable.

photo.net actually does have GDPR-compliant user PII removal. It's not very graceful and unfortunately leaves scars on the site (broken images, etc).

Thanks for the responses so far, especially from @WilliamMichael. Given that PN is as it is, I don't have a real problem with working around 'quirks'. Yes. the PN site needs more investment in maintenance and development. I truly hope that Fiverr, having acquired PN, sees a good business case for developing PN: technically (platform), functionally, and in terms of marketing.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the solution I found--this thing is intermittent and just started again the other day.

When selecting the file you want to upload, DO NOT double-click on it. Instead, select it and click on the 'open' button. Works every time for me!

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

When selecting the file you want to upload, DO NOT double-click on it. Instead, select it and click on the 'open' button. Works every time for me!

That works for me also. I don't change the size of an image if I know it's right. I was dragging and dropping the image from my desktop to the "Post Reply" panel, but that's when I was sometimes getting that "Too Large" error. So I click on "Upload a File" at the bottom of the "Post Reply" panel ... "Browse" comes up and I click on that, from there I find "Desktop" and click only once on the image I want, and then click "Open". I use this procedure every time now to avoid the error message.

• 4 months later...
Some days this problem is worse than others. I click on 'upload a file'. Then 'Browse - Desktop-click once on image-click open'. When I get the error message I try again. It usually works by third attempt. My files are always the same size. It's clearly a glitch.

We should not think that this problem will be fixed. The stated goals of the new owners are that we will receive a solid discussion platform and many other niceties--when the new site is launched. The old maxim 'what was broken shall be made anew' is now 'what was broken shall be replaced' is the course. No time for whatever is bollixed up in this version--or so we can hope.

As to the upload game, I have gotten used to it over time--and for whatever reason cannot drag & drop in any of my various browsers.

As @John Seaman brilliantly observed, "Well, it is photo.net..."

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!