Should photos of naked babies be trashed?

Whatever the reason the editor blurs the image of the faces and bodies, it takes away from the power of the image.

Life is a balance of competing interests, isn't it?

As to Nick Ut's photo of Napalm Girl, Ut worked for AP at the time. If you go directly to AP as your photo source, you'll see plenty of faces of Ukrainian kids.

If the outlets for info you're using are blurring faces and you find that lessens the power of what you're seeing, change sources of information. In this day and age, the consumer of news and journalism is responsible for choosing their sources wisely ...

AP PHOTOS

If you're not satisfied with AP, consider Time Magazine, including their cover ...

TIME PHOTOS

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Life is a balance of competing interests, isn't it?

As to Nick Ut's photo of Napalm Girl, Ut worked for AP at the time. If you go directly to AP as your photo source, you'll see plenty of faces of Ukrainian kids.

If the outlets for info you're using are blurring faces and you find that lessens the power of what you're seeing, change sources of information. In this day and age, the consumer of news and journalism is responsible for choosing their sources wisely ...

AP PHOTOS

If you're not satisfied with AP, consider Time Magazine, including their cover ...

TIME PHOTOS

I'm describing what happens to viewers of images and videos when faces are blurred. The power and impact is often lost. Most people don't stop what they're doing when the 630 news shows these pictures to Google the news to see if they can find photos that show the faces. Who does that? In any case, the faces may not be available anywhere.

Most people don't stop what they're doing when the 630 news shows these pictures to Google the news to see if they can find photos that show the faces.

I didn't know we were talking about most people. I thought you were talking about yourself and your feeling that the impact of these photos was lost for you. So, I offered you a way for you to regain that impact by viewing non-blurred faces. If you don't want to put the effort into a pretty quick search of the Internet (and I've actually supplied you two links, saving you the "bother"), don't. It's pretty simple.

Speaking of most people, however, are you aware that most people don't get their info from the 630 news and do get it from the Internet and their iPhones and other devices, where they are likely seeing non-blurred faces of Ukrainian children on an abundance of sites? So, you probably needn't worry about them.

"If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches."

Rainer Maria Rilke

SOURCES OF NEWS

"You talkin' to me?"

I didn't know we were talking about most people. I thought you were talking about yourself and your feeling that the impact of these photos was lost for you. So, I offered you a way for you to regain that impact by viewing non-blurred faces. If you don't want to put the effort into a pretty quick search of the Internet (and I've actually supplied you two links, saving you the "bother"), don't. It's pretty simple.

Speaking of most people, however, are you aware that most people don't get their info from the 630 news and do get it from the Internet and their iPhones and other devices, where they are likely seeing non-blurred faces of Ukrainian children on an abundance of sites? So, you probably needn't worry about them.

"If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches."

Rainer Maria Rilke

SOURCES OF NEWS

I made my point. You're just being argumentative for the sake of arguing.

You're just being argumentative for the sake of arguing.

FYI, you mentioned ad hominem in the thread with the new administrator. This is a classic example of it. I don’t see it as particularly nasty, but it is ad hominem. It’s about me rather than the topic.

I’m not offended.

It’s worth pointing out because you liked the idea of zero tolerance. I’ve said things like this as well. Our frustrations can get the better of us. It’s human.

Ad hominem: Of an argument or reaction directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining. In a way that is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

I think viciousness is more problematic and worthy of intolerance.

Don’t get me wrong, ad hominem arguments don’t generally add to the substance of a discussion even if they might add some color. They’re best avoided. But they’re not all as terrible as some seem to think and they happen frequently enough that a zero tolerance policy would occupy an awful lot of someone’s time to enforce.

"You talkin' to me?"

FYI, you mentioned ad hominem in the thread with the new administrator. This is a classic example of it. I don’t see it as particularly nasty, but it is ad hominem. It’s about me rather than the topic.

I’m not offended.

It’s worth pointing out because you liked the idea of zero tolerance. I’ve said things like this as well. Our frustrations can get the better of us. It’s human.

Ad hominem: Of an argument or reaction directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining. In a way that is directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

I think viciousness is more problematic and worthy of intolerance.

Don’t get me wrong, ad hominem arguments don’t generally add to the substance of a discussion even if they might add some color. They’re best avoided. But they’re not all as terrible as some seem to think and they happen frequently enough that a zero tolerance policy would occupy an awful lot of someone’s time to enforce.

Your position is argumentative just for the sake of arguing. :)

A little further research shows that there is quite a bit of concern for women and children and predators due to the Ukraine situation, especially human trafficking of young girls often unaccompanied and on the run. One possible reason responsible editors have decided to hide their faces. Safety.

UNICEF REPORT

You do realize that there was a twitter leak on the unicef account on how they wanted to lower the international age of consent for sexual contact to about 8 years old, right when there was nice big influx of children fleeing Ukraine?

You do realize that there was a twitter leak on the unicef account on how they wanted to lower the international age of consent for sexual contact to about 8 years old, right when there was nice big influx of children fleeing Ukraine?

Regardless, I don't think UNICEF is the only entity with concern for Ukrainian children and their safety.

"You talkin' to me?"

Whatever the reason the editor blurs the image of the faces and bodies, it takes away from the power of the image. Can you imagine this photograph if that was done? This photo helped create opinions in America that the US should get out of VietNam.

Link: The story behind the heartbreaking photo of Vietnamese girl burned by napalm, 40 years later

When that particular photograph comes up, one normally doesnt question the change in "impact" if the childs FACE is blurred out.

The question of a reasonable mind is, why wasnt a different area blurred out of that photograph?

Regardless, I don't think UNICEF is the only entity with concern for Ukrainian children and their safety.

Right now Ukraine and Russia are the biggest exporters of GRAIN in that continent. Issue is they have been hit with droughts last few years like everyone else. Russia wants that farm land, but its not getting planted this year due to the invasion.

Russia has stopped sending fertilizer on the international market, and the price has hit 1,000US dollars per TON.. alot of farmers in my state cannot afford to buy it. Not for corn, not for wheat, and not for hay that the western states depend on.. so horsemeat should be an easy purchase in a few months

Right now Ukraine and Russia are the biggest exporters of GRAIN in that continent. Issue is they have been hit with droughts last few years like everyone else. Russia wants that farm land, but its not getting planted this year due to the invasion.

Russia has stopped sending fertilizer on the international market, and the price has hit 1,000US dollars per TON.. alot of farmers in my state cannot afford to buy it. Not for corn, not for wheat, and not for hay that the western states depend on.. so horsemeat should be an easy purchase in a few months

I don't know what this has to do with the topic, so I'll pass.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"