Medium Format vs. Panoramic

lindsay_robb

Alright. Here are the facts:

I am an EOS owner with a 17-35mm lens.

I will soon be the proud owner of a Fuji GS645W.

I am really attracted to the Horizon 202.

Questions:

The Horizon only shoots on 35mm, so I am assuming this means I can't

shoot on slide film? If I do, will I be able to find mounts?

I know I will get a wider area with the Horizon than with the Fuji or

the EOS. But if I can only shoot on print film, would I be better

off to mask my slides? How will publishers look on this?

Some opinions would be great. I'm not too bothered about having to

carry a dedicated panoramic but only if I need to.

In addition to Gepe, look here for appropriate 35mm panoramic slide mounts -- http://www.inkjetart.com/sp/index.html. While new medium format projectors are certainly expensive, used ones show up on e-bay that are much more reasonably priced. I bought a Kindermann MF slide projector on e-bay for about $150, as I recall. It works fine with the 35mm panoramic slide mounts. Getting the slides developed shouldn't be a problem, as long as the developer is told not to cut the slides. Good luck!

The Horizon is a whole lot of fun to use, simply because it's so different from the other equipment which you're using. I have one just to give me a different perspective on what would otherwise become simple snapshots. I have never used slide film with it, although slide film is my staple diet in 6 x 6.<p>

The lens quality is perfectly acceptable, but it won't match the Fuji. Cropping on the Fuji will not give you a perspective which will come anywhere close to that given by the Horizon, so don't listen to the siren voices who suggest otherwise. <p>

The Horizon is so cheap that I suggest you have a go with one and see how it grabs you. It is far from user friendly, so you must bear in mind that it will be a completely different and slower process to make an image.