Is there a tool ...

hjoseph7

A few years ago I purchased a Slik Ball Head with Quick Release plate. It came with a 'Reducer Bushing' that changed the thread from 3/8 to 1/4 . I recently purchased a Manfrotto 3021 tripod and need to change the thread back to 3/8, but I'm not able to remove the Reducer Bushing from the Ball Head. All of my screwdrivers are too small to reach both sides of the notches on the sides of the bushings to twist it off. Does anybody have any recommendations ?

Reducer Bushing: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769749-REG/Oben_OB_1039_3_8_16_to_1_4_20_Reducer.html/qa

A larger screw driver should work--I've done this myself and just happened to have a wide enough screw driver in my collection of tools. It shouldn't be more than a few dollars at a hardware store, and probably a lot less than a new plate for the tripod head.

"Don't force it, get a bigger hammer"*

or, in this case, a bigger, flat screwdriver.

Stick the thingie with the adapter on it in your pocket and go to any hardware store to find one that fits.

* supposedly a graffito on the walls of a Pompeiian smithy.

Believe it or not, I was able to get it off with a small pair of scissors and a regular butter knife . Yeah !

You can easily lubricate the threads to prevent this in the future by rubbing all of the threads with a #2 lead pencil. I also do this with my filter threads. They ae not loose, but can be removed easily l

• 8 months later...