canon EF aperture scale in the finder shifted

h_s1

I have a Canon EF SLR that I bought off ebay several years ago. I have shot a few rolls of film through it in the past and took it out today to shoot another one.

However, I noticed that the aperture number scale on the right hand side of the view finder has apparently shifted down! The lowest number I see is 4 (just near the red strip at the bottom of the vertical scale). However, as shown in its instructions manual it should be 1.2.

Anybody else experience similar thing?

Other than that, the winder is creamy smooth and the camera seems to be working fine.

Replying to myself. Turns out the camera is fine, only I don't know it well enough!

The f-stop scale shifts vertically based on the FD lens that is mounted on the camera. With FL lenses, there is no linkage to move that scale and it stays with f/4 just near the bottom red mark.

I tried with FD lenses 50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/2.8 and 35-105mm f/3.5, and the scale adjusted to the minimum lens f-number at the bottom of the scale.

With FL lenses, the scale stays at its lowest position, with 4 at the bottom.

Incidentally, I got back my second EF body back from a CLA with the meter adjusted to use 1.5V and was able to compare both side by side.

TIL!

Good to know he is servicing cameras.i have a few I need to send him.may I ask what he charged you for the cla.

I have never sent him a camera for a simple CLA, but to fix a few specific problems which MAY have been in reality solved by a CLA. Shutter capping on an older F1, and two issues with F1Ns - the reasons being forgotten. Anyway, his service was quick and reasonable, costing me about $100.00 each time. If you do send him something, CALL him first.

As an aside, I would advise against converting any Canon that originally took a 1.35v battery to 1.5v. The "replacement" PX 625 in 1.5 volt has been discontinued by Duracell and Eveready and is very difficult to find in off brands with any degree of quality. It is much easier to use either a Wein 1.35 replacement or using a 675.

Edited by chuck909

I received my EF with the battery compartments modified by fitting a coiled spring around the internal circumference per picture below.

This centres the SR44 / AG13 / 357 sized batteries in the chamber. My camera tech, (now sadly retired), thought this a very good mod.

I currently have alkaline A76 batteries fitted which may be on their last legs as the metering is still fine but the slow shutter speeds which are electronically controlled are not working. If I try to shoot below 1/2 second the first curtain opens but the shutter does not close until I move the shutter speed dial to a faster speed than 1/2 second. Hopefully new silver oxide cells will fix this otherwise I'll have to find a repairer in Oz that can handle this and they appear to be disappearing fast.

11321863_CanonEBattery.thumb.jpg.357ba1a0cafb90c905227804cc9c2c21.jpg

• Like 1

Yaaay! Success!! I went out and managed to buy two silver oxide 357 batteries, not bad considering it's Boxing Day.

Some of the slow speeds were a bit baulky and I fixed this by rotating the shutter speed dial back and forth a few times. All slow speeds good now.

At its last service, about 10 years ago the technician noted that he had applied an anti-corrosive compound to all of the contacts in the camera. Perhaps this needed to be 'wiped' off a little from the contacts for the slow shutter speeds. At this point I don't really know if the new batteries or the exercising of the shutter speed dial corrected the problem. Not going to swap out the 357's for the alkaline A76 cells - if it's not broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1