Nikon Z Lens Roadmap, Updated 20 September 2022

ShunCheung

19 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

...............or they've managed to maintain 5.6 at the long end?

Like the 200-500mm....🙂

I think this is quite optimistic. A 600/5.6 (front element diameter at least 107mm) is noticeably bigger than a 500/5.6 (89mm) or 600/6.3 (95mm). 

A 200-600/5.6 could end up costing 4000-5000 EUR. I think Nikon is making the 200-600 to compete with Sony's 200-600/5.6-6.3. 1/3 stop might not sound like a lot but with these focal lengths it can make a big difference in size, weight and price. Just compare the prices of the the Z 800/6.3 and the F-mount 800/5.6 (granted, the former is PF which makes it lighter, shorter and probably also more affordable). 

I can see the appeal of using just one long lens as these tend to be large and heavy to lug around. However, the choice of which lens to take as that one lens involves compromises. England actually has really nice weather at least in the summer, based on my experiences. 😉 I don't know why the locals complain about it there. For crappy weather and dim light, come to Finland in November. 😉 Why I always end up selling any f/5.6 tele that I get after a short time of use would become apparent. 😉 f/5.6 = dogged slow, f/4 = sometimes usable, f/2.8 = pretty good, f/2 = nice.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ilkka_nissila said:

England actually....

You're mixing your seasons there! ...and its more the (un)predictable nature that's more tricky...:-)

I'm sure you have nice summers too....20hrs of daylight..? 😉

I know the end of the horsey season is nigh when you're onto the last class at 15.00 and ISO is in 5 figures at 1.1000th 2.8...😱

• 3 months later...