Nikon Z Lens Roadmap, Updated 20 September 2022

ShunCheung

The 26mm is a true "pancake" lens and the 24mm DX is a moderate wide, but both were already on the roadmap in October 2021. What is new are the three Tamron f2.8 zooms (rebadged to Nikon) with 67mm filter size: 17-28, 28-75, and 70-180. And there is a second 35mm S (besides the original 35mm/f1.8 S) and 135mm S.

Hopefully we'll see the 200-600 soon, and perhaps a 600mm/f4 w/ 1.4x TC S lens, but Nikon seems to be having a tough time delivering those super teles in any kind of volume.

• Like 1

While these are not made by Nikon, there are three Z mount manual focus lenses from Voigtlander that will mount directly on Nikon Z cameras. Two are full frame and one is DX. With focus peaking available I can see that some may not need an AF prime lens for certain applications like landscapes, etc. They are made by Cosina so I would expect the quality to be superb. Once they become more available I may rent one to try it out.

Details here:

Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 50mm f/2.0 Aspherical Lens for Nikon Z-Mount

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1724131-REG/voigtlander_ba361b_apo_lanthar_50mm_f_2_0_aspherical.html

Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 35mm f/2 Aspherical Lens for Nikon Z-Mount

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1724133-REG/voigtlander_ba374b_apo_lanthar_35mm_f_2_aspherical.html

Voigtlander Nokton 23mm f/1.2 Aspherical Lens for Z-Mount

DX lens

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1725733-REG/voigtlander_ba372b_nokton_23mm_f_1_2_aspherical.html

• Like 1

The 'old', but very weighty, Sigma 135mm 1.8 ART does well on my Z6ii.

I wonder what speed it is and how heavy?

The 105 MC seems to be slowly becoming available here in the UK, or grey for £846. Kinda tempted.....:p

The 105 MC is positively wonderful and I'd highly recommend it. It feels surprisingly light weight in hand. I imagine the 135 will be an f/1.8 or f/2 and fairly heavy.

• Like 3

Nikon's never made an F Mount 26mm lens before.

However, there was almost a 25mm lens....;)

Nikkor-N 25mm 1:3.5 Auto

Did anyone ever make a 26mm full frame prime lens before?

Maybe it is a worlds first? Albeit perhaps not the most spectacular worlds first ;)

Nikon wasn’t really big in pancake lenses either. The GN 45mm, a speciality lens intended for flash use, and the Cosina-made-Nikon-branded 45/2.8 manual focus D lens is what I can think of.

I don’t really count the many compact 50/1.8 variations as pancakes - the optical design was the same as the standard version with just a little tweaking of the barrel.

Niels

The 'old', but very weighty, Sigma 135mm 1.8 ART does well on my Z6ii.

I wonder what speed it is and how heavy?

The 105 MC seems to be slowly becoming available here in the UK, or grey for £846. Kinda tempted.....:p

Got mine for £939 (European stock). It probably represents the best value for money of all of the 'lower tier' S lenses, it is AMAZING.

(Get your wallet out Mike) :)

So, no Z tilt-shift on the horizon :)

As we have found out, I kind of take the roadmap with a small grain of salt now. Back in October 2021, the roadmap didn't even hint any rebadged Tamron lens originally developed for the Sony E mount. In less than a year, there are now two of them with a third (70-180/2.8) on the horizon. Meanwhile, the 200-600 has been on the roadmap for 3 years but is still not announced yet, getting superseded by the likes of 400mm/f4.5 S and 800mm/f6.3 PF S, etc.

We may see some Z-mount fisheye and tilt-shift lenses in another year or two. Nikon doesn't need to put any particular lens on the roadmap before they announce it.

• 3 months later...

Here is another update as of January 5, 2023, after the CES "development announcement" of the 85mm/f1.2 S and 26mm/f2.8 pancake lenses. Of course the 600mm/f4 w/ TC was announced in November 2022. Otherwise, there is not a whole lot of difference since the previous version of the roadmap. (This version is in Japanese.)

Z_lens_roadmap_2023_01_05.thumb.jpg.4cba8db70691e098dc42b8ab66421f9e.jpg

When Nikon released the very first Z lens roadmap as they introduced the Z System back on August 23, 2018 (below), they provided focal lengths as well as maximum apertures for future lenses, to arrive in 2019 and 2020. Later on, they only provided focal lengths and led to speculations about maximum apertures.

LensRoadMap2.jpg.d238b3d907864b330cd54b36c5306ba9.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

By that logic, it dosn't have an aperture either....🤣

Well, all the S-line designations (and lack thereof) on the roadmap have panned out. 

The 200-600 is expected to compete with Sony 200-600 which is a relatively inexpensive (but well-liked) lens. I think that could be the reason the Nikon 200-600 has not yet been launched; it may not be so easy to beat Sony's offering in that price class (internal zoom no less) and Nikon doesn't want to put out a lens that doesn't appear to be in some ways superior compared to the competition. 

• Like 1

The 200-600 is expected to be a non-S, consumer lens around $2000, similar to the Sony version. Since Nikon pulled the schedule for the Z9 up, they also prioritized long teles to match the Z9. Hence the 200-600 is put in the back burner. In fact, with the 100-400, 400/4.5, 500 PF and 800 PF, I don’t find the 200-600 necessary any more.

Expect the 600mm to be f6.3 on the long end. That is another thing Nikon keeps you guessing.

3 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

with the 100-400, 400/4.5, 500 PF and 800 PF, I don’t find the 200-600 necessary any more.

Hmm... I am thinking the opposite.  I find it makes more sense to have one lens (plus 1.4x) covering all of these lenses (except 400/4.5 - which belongs in a separate category); so one needs only to carry one lens instead of 3 with the 800pf being gigantic.  

11 hours ago, Mary Doo said:

with the 800pf being gigantic. 

And way smaller, lighter and cheaper than the F Mount version and only 1/3 EV slower.

If you need 800mm, you just need 800mm...!

I've often chatted with American, especially Floridian, bird photographers that don't quite get the need for huge reach... until they come over to Europe*. Our birds are way more wary, and we don't really have Bison half a mile away...🙂

*In a similar way as to why we're obsessed with tomorrow's weather, cos we just can't be sure, whereas the West Coasters know it's going to be the same as it was yesterday.....😉