Lens skipping film frame

I have a student who every time she switches to one certain lens on her camera the film frame comes out totally blank. When switching back to the first lens everything comes out fine. I can see through the lens by itself and the view finder when attached to the camera. The light meter is working fine with it and the shutter release goes off fine and the film is advancing normal.

But somehow the light is not hitting the film. Any ideas?

Yep . . . It's likely that the frames are not "blank" but grossly under exposed . . . Well . . . You said "blank". I guess that could mean they are claar or black. Black would indicate gross over exposure. In the end, the lens and body are not working together properly. The aperture interface on the lens could be damaged or the lens could be improperly mounted.

Knowing the model of both would help greatly.

Not familiar with Nikon system(s) but perhaps it is an older lens that protrudes too deeply into the mirror box and is blocking the mirror from flipping up?

If the camera has a mirror lockup, you can try that. Or, as Glen H. says, fire the camera with the back open without film.

Edited by steven_endo
  • Like 1

Who says it's a Nikon? Could be a 'blad with a dodgy leaf shutter. In fact the latter is far more likely.

Although a G series lens on an old film body would almost certainly underexpose. But then the meter most likely wouldn't indicate a sensible exposure.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

The OP is a long-time member, but he seems to have a history of posting enigmatic queries about unidentified equipment and then never checking back.

Maybe he spends so much time out taking pictures (with cameras that don't work) that he doesn't have time to write about them.

-- glen