Contax 645 Battery Usage

christopher_butler1

I've been enjoying working with my new Contax 645 for a month or so.

I bought the MP-1 (4 AA) battery holder, so I have not been using the

2CR5 very much, but I have noticed that I've been burning through

batteries. While I do "stand" on the focus button a bit, the manual

says I should get about 8 rolls from a set of 4 AA batteries. I seem

to be getting about 2-3 rolls. I switched to NiMH rechargables, of

course, but the last cycle was only 2 rolls before the low battery

light came on again!

Now, I have to admit that I am used to getting 30-60 rolls out of a

set of 8 AA's with my EOS 1n + BP.

Can anyone else share their battery usage experience? Should I

consider this usage abnormal and contact Contax over it?

Christopher I have experienced the same problem. I contacted KYOCERA on the use of AA Lithiums. They advised that I should get approx. 30 rolls per set (same as the 2CR5) so far I have shot only about 5 rolls so too early to asess. The other features of the MP-1 I like as the grip area is improved, the vertical grip feature is also nice.

Hi, Christopher ...

I have the Pentax 645N and have shot close to 100 rolls (combination of 120 & 220), not considering all the "playing around", on the same set of 6 Lithium batteries when I purchased the camera in April 1999, and no sign of letting up. I have been using "heavy glass" - AF 80mm-160mm - the majority of the time for weddings and portraits. I also use the AF 45mm, not too much drain on the batteries for this one.

The instruction booklet states that under ideal conditions, I should be getting about 250 rolls of 220 or about 320 rolls of 120 with a single set of 6 AA lithium batteries.

With alkaline batteries, the roll count goes down dramatically: 100 rolls of 220 and 130 rolls of 120.

I'll let you know how many I actually get with my lithiums.

Your roll count seems somewhat low. Forget rechargeables! Have you tried lithiums? They are GREAT! I use 4 AA lithiums in my Pentax AF500FTZ but can't really give you a count. They certainly seem to stand up superbly and recycle real fast.

Happy shooting!

Ray

Christoper,

do not consider abnormal the usage of YOUR camera! I have experimented too this kind of hight battery consumption with my Contax 645.

In my experience AA batteries last few rolls (3-220 films). NIMH 2 or 3 rolls. 2CR5 at least 15 rolls.

I suggest to you to work in Manual Focus if you want to save battery power!

Personally I decided to bought a pack of 100-2CR5 by Fujitsu:

from US$ 9.50 each (regular price) I could buy 100 for 500 US$.

100 2CR5 mean at least 1500 films , in my case 7 months of work or economically save 64 dollars a month on batteries.

Happy New Year!

Michele Maunier

Doesn't this battery consumption issue seem odd to anyone. To have to spend as much on batteries as you do on a film back in a few months is totally unacceptable. I realize there is no perfect MF camera, but there is a problem somewhere. I know the camera is an electrical marvel, but the high battery consumption negates any pracital use of the camera. I returned mine the same week. Even Zeiss image quality is not worth it. I use a Hassy 202FA and Nikon N-90, F4 and F5. I can't remember when I change the batteries.

This battery problem alone has me looking at the Mamiya AF which uses AA.

Joe.

I cannot answer regarding non-AF use since I only have the AF Planar lens now. I plan on getting some Ukranian lenses when the adaptor is ready which will be MF with focus confirmation (still useful for middle age eyesight).

However, I find I get 15-20 rolls on one 2CR5 -- mixed 120 and 220. I plan on stocking up on these lithium batteries. The shelf life on lithium batteries is extremely long -- about five years. They are very small and light weight. I take them out of their wrappers and keep them in the camera bag stacked. One could also put a piece of tape over the terminals and keep them loose. Other than the cost, they are a very effective solution for a camera that uses electricity for all functions. (And if I want a camera that doesn't use batteries, I have my Rolleiflex TLR :-) )

I am surprised at the low yeild of AA alkalines. I was thinking about getting the adaptor but this wouldn't be acceptable. I think it just goes to show how much current can be packed into a small 2CR5. I would think the main use of the AA adaptor would be for the ergonomic features, or if you found yourself in a rural area that did not have lithium batteries available. AA's are pretty much everywhere.

I can't comment on battery usage using just manual focus; I'm not using manual focus very much. I use autofocus because that's one of the primary reasons I wanted this camera; it suits my subject matter and technique.

I guess I'm sorry to here this does not appear to be a defect in my particlar unit and I'm pretty amazed that the other 645 AF cameras seem to have much better battery consumption behavior. Could this be due to the difference between screw drive and USM-style motors? Hard to believe.

And yes, the battery "thirstiness" does seem odd to me. Perhaps that's too kind of a word. :-) Annoying is better. I tend to be in the field all day, and it would not be unusual for me to shoot 300-400 frames on a heavy day. My rechargables do not appear to be up to that demand, and the thought of burning that much in disposable batteries really annoys me. It's not just the cost, either, the waste issue is pretty serious to me as well.

I wonder if a heavier plugin-style rechargable battery pack might be of help here. *sigh*

• 3 months later...

Hi, just wondering about any recent info on the Contax 645 battery issue. I've had mine for about 2 months, and I'm getting about 4 rolls (mostly 220) per 2CR5 lithium battery! Sounds even worse than others are getting. I use manual focus 99% of the time. I do use the spotmeter repeatedly to check different frame areas, and often use mirror lockup (a drain here?) but even so, it seems very abnormal to get such low battery life.

Christopher - have you had any new information since your post in January?

I've shot 50-60 rolls through my Contax 645 and have changed the batteries once. That puts consumption in line with Kyocera's statements. I use mostly manual focus, but love that autofocus button. I don't shoot long exposures and don't use mirror lock up. Those features may use more power.

I don't recall seeing a spot meter function on my camera. I guess I better check out the users manual again. Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news from Contax says real world usage is a little better than 1/2 what the manual says. My camera appears to fit this profile.

This means:

- the 2CR5 lithium in the main body should last about 15 rolls of 120 film.

- 4 AA Alkalines in the battery pack should last about 4 rolls

- 4 AA NiMH in the battery pack should last about 2-3 rolls.

My daily usage: I use up two sets of NiMH first, then switch over to 2CR5. I keep the two sets of NiMH fully charged. Overall, this is tolerable to me; one adapts, I guess.

Contax is suggesting an external power pack that may soon be available from one of the rechargable battery vendors, from Quantum, I think. No specifics. This would plug into the power port. I have no idea how long this would last.

Having said all of that, I still think the camera is superb. I have portraits that I have taken that are breathless. The Mamiya 645AF would be the other rational choice for me in this category. I wanted and needed autofocus. Pentax didn't float my boat (sorry Pentax!).

If manual focus is not an issue, my understanding is that you will get dramatically improved battery performance by using manual focus with the Contax. How much better, I couldn't say, although one of the prior posts casts some doubts on this.

Would I buy the Contax again? I think I would really look closer at the Mamiya 645AF, but I might still wind up with the Contax.

</i>

- the 2CR5 lithium in the main body should last about 15 rolls of 120 film.

- 4 AA Alkalines in the battery pack should last about 4 rolls

- 4 AA NiMH in the battery pack should last about 2-3 rolls...

</i><p>

Are these numbers correct? Even if I could get 2x the number of exposures from a single set of batteries I would never buy this camera due to that very reasoin. With what one would spend in batteries alone in a year one could buy a round trip ticked to Sweden to pick up a Hasselblad at the factory gate...<p>

More importantly, with earth's resources ever more strained by a growing population, how can the manufacturers conscience producing such a wasteful machine? If I shot 100 rolls of film, somewhere between 12 and 25 sets of AAs would end up in a landfill. Since it isa not unusual for a pro to shoot 10 to 15 rolls for a modest assignment and 25 or more rolls for a bigger assignment, imagine the piles of dead batteries this camera will produce. Contax ought to be ashamed or ought to fix this obvious flaw in future models, retrofitting existing customer cameras for free!

Following up on my previous post .... I did purchase a quantity of ten 2cr5 batteries on ebay for five bucks each. As an amateur, these are perfect for me. They don't self discharge, have a 5-10 year shelf life, are very small and light, and quick to change. I use the "button" AF mode... it only focuses when I press the button, then I can fine tune manually if I want. And subsequent frames don't require another AF cycle.

By the way, I have received the new Zoerkendoerfer lens adaptor and it is great. The Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180 and Flektogon 50 work just fine, *even in aperture priority automation mode*. And the focus confirmation indicator also works. What I do is focus wide open, then stop down to taking aperture. As you stop down you can see the shutter speed change in the viewfinder display. Considering these lenses are pretty darn good and dirt cheap, this is way cool.

• 5 months later...

There are power sources other than Contax's AA adapter (which I

believe, isn't compatable with the Polaroid back) that work just fine

- the Digipower DPS8000 is a 2700 maH nickel metal hydride pack that

includes a recharger for around $40. You can also buy the adaper cable

that plugs right into your Contax 645 for about $20. It works fine, I

have two of them and I keep 2CR5's available if I don't want the cord

dangling.

You can get this product from ProCamera in Charlottesville, VA

804-979-1915. I'm not sure how many rolls I get on a charge, I'd say

probably about 8-10 220 rolls and 50-75 po

• 3 months later...
If you shoots 5-10 rolls continuesly. The battery voltage does drop very fast. Especially the NiMH type, but that doesn't mean the battery is totally exhausted. If you let the camera sit for 20min, you'll find the battery is good again. However, I only use the 2CR5 on wedding day. I had no problem shooting 10+ rolls a day. Besides, change the 2CR5 in the grip takes less than 20 seconds. I always carry a spare in the pocket. It's a good habit no matter what kind camera you use. Sam

• 9 months later...
I am wondering whether we can get "rechargable 2CR5's" for the Contax 645 instead of paying some $10-15 each. I am looking into some of the new Nikon Coolpix digital cameras such as the 5000. They use a rechargable battery but can also take a 2CR5. So has anybody tried that type of rechargables on the Contax 645 and if so, what is the result?

• 2 months later...
For Contax 645 users who go thru a lot of batteries--There IS a solution! (I don't mean the Contax Battery Grip). Go to www.digitalcamerabattery.com and buy their RECHARGEABLE NiMH battery--it can accomodate not one but TWO cords so you can power your camera AND flash at the same time with ONE battery pack! (Voltages are determined by the cords so you can power two things that work on completely DIFFERENT VOLTAGES!!!!) I power a Contax 645 and Quantum T2 flash this way--it works GREAT!!!(No, I don't work for the company, I just thought I'd share an excellent solution to the battery appetite "problem" of the Contax 645). Happy Shooting!

• 10 months later...

Regarding the battery consumption problem, someone suggested an alternative for the camera which is a 2CR5 rechargable from a brand called "Quest" and I have found its web site:

http://www.2cr5.co.uk/start_about2cr5.html

It seems it offers a very basic solution without adding size, weight, cord etc. to the camera. Has anyone tried this rechargable 2CR5 on the Contax 645 yet ? How many 120 rolls can be shot ? Any advice will be very useful for the potential Contax 645 (as well as the rechargable) buyer like me. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

This may not be an ideal solution, but I got myself a small rechargeable battery of 6v with an output of around 4a/h. It fits nicely in a bag as if it was a spare lens and it hooks straight up to the power input socket.

It does add to the weight of stuff you carry around but it cost me 20GBP and the charger was another 30GBP but it does 50 - 60 rolls between charges and has not let me down in 2 years of using it.

I have a similar device but with a different output which has a 7.5v output that I use for my Metz flashgun, gives me an easy 750+ flashes between charges and this only drops to about 250 if I use everything it got/can do.

As I said its not the ideal but it does work for me as both units fit in the one small bag and I just throw it over my shoulders.