Kodak 400UC

The image here:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/big-image?bboard_upload_id=11724584

started out as Portra 400UC on a cloudy day - not especially flat or muddy to my eye.

It is a professional studio/portrait film - I suspect trying to run it through the local minlab used to Max800 may not work very well - I'm not sure they'd have the printing 'channels' available to do it justice.

I meant to add: if 400UC has a flaw, it's that it tends to overdo the reds a bit - it was hard getting detail to show in some of those red hats, they were so supersaturated. Oddly, skin tones (some of which are just variations on red) don't do too badly.

Now I'm waiting for a Portra 50UC (fifty - not five hundred - a Velvia substitute) 8^)

• 5 months later...
This film is especially strong for twilight / night shots. I've used it in my Olympus mju P&S and in my Minolta Dynax 7. Dragging shutter on the P&S produced rich saturation on people with deep blue skies. Had some overexposure problems in very bright sun, but that might have been the meter on the Olympus. Pushed +1 EV in the Minolta for some indoor shots in an old monastery in Spain - colors strong but some grain - not quite like Tri-X in the push department. All-in-all - excellent film especially where saturation is desired in lower available light settings.

In response to the person who said they had muddy results... rate 400UC at 320. I found I had muddy greens when shooting portraits in full front sun; dark green plants in the background didn't get enough exposure even though flesh tones looked great. Since I've started rating the film at 320 I've gotten really good blacks and nice dense negatives.

The flesh tones this film produces are marvelous.