Buying 550EX in Japan a good deal

sirfish

Hi All,

I'm heading to Japan in a couple of weeks and was going to buy a

550ex speedlite for the trip. But one of my travel books said good

deals can be found in Tokyo on stuff like that. Anyone know if the

prices there are better there than on B&H Photo or Adorama? Or

should I get it in the US before I travel?

Thanks

Keith

I have heard that said many times. But, I didn't find anything cheaper in Tokyo than I could find in the US. (Except cuban cigars, but that's another story...) Doesn't sound like the 550EX is much different in price in Tokyo. So, I'd probably get it before I went if I thought I needed it. (I'd probably just get the 420EX if I thought I needed a flash, and if I saw a great deal on the 550EX in Tokyo, I'd get that too. Then I could use them together! )

I'm not sure camera gears in Tokyo is cheaper than US. U can check price at Bic Camera(www.bicbic.com) and Fujiya Camera(www.fujiya-cameraten.com). Usualy the price in fujiya is cheaper and they sell both new and used gears.Hope that help

Strangely, the 550EX's absolute price is pretty constant everywhere in the world. At B&H it's $330, which at present exchange rate is £205 (although the exchange rate is such that it is fewer £ than it was a few months ago), whilst I recently bought my 550EX for £240. Yes, slightly cheaper, but a MUCH smaller difference than lenses, which are significantly more expensive here in the UK (to the point that it is possible to order from B&H/adorama, pay over $50 shipping, pay 17.5% VAT, pay duty and customs charges, and STILL save over 20% on some lenses).

Keith,

If you want to buy the flash new, you will probably be better off buying it here Stateside. Bying new in Japan is OK, if you can get on the point card system... But if you are willing to look at something used, I would reccomend either Map Camera in Shinjuku (next to Yodobashi Camera) or Fujiya in Nakano. I have bought used from both places and found that the equipment was excellent and have had zero problems. I hope you'll share you photos when you get back! Let us know how the trip was for you. Thomas James

Thanks for the info Thomas (and others!), I was actually thinking used, but failed to mention it in my post, since my wife was thinking she could get a new digi cam there. I'll check out the shops you mention and see what they have.

I'll definately post some picts. When I get back. With any kind of luck we'll be there for the cherry blossoms!

Whatever you do do not come to Australia to buy a 550ex. Between $A900-$A1000 with exchange rate at the moment works out at about $US540-$US600.

Anyone know where to buy cheap 550ex in AUS?

Good Luck &

Thanks Bill.

Some other tips to keep in mind...

If you do buy in Japan -

Make sure the digicam menus can be displayed in English...some dont. Most Fuji FinePix models are all in Japanese...Of course if you go to so-called Duty free shops in Akihabara, the 'export models' are English..(Spanish/French/German...)but you pay same or more than US proces.

Make sure you trade in the Japanese manual for an English manual. Sometimes the biggies..Yodobashi/Bic run out of stock...in that case, you have to go a 'service center' to exchange...Nikon Service Center Shinjuku is right across the street from Bic...3 minutes walking to Yodobashi.

You probably already know, but to qualify for 'Duty-Free' is to buy over 10,000 yen...approx $85. You will just save 5%. 5% is the consuption tax in Japan. The store will staple the receipt in your passport.

For me, I am thinking of switching to Canon...Prices in the States are usually cheaper. Case in point...a 1D at B&H is about $3700. Bic/Yodobashi is 650,000 yen...(approx. $5500. I live here in Tokyo, but will buy my stuff in US next time I go 'home' for vacation.