Airport X-ray scanners, CT technology, and Heathrow

Periodically someone posts a question asking if airport X-ray scanning of hand luggage will damage film. I always refer to the test performed by the French civil aviation authority in 2010, which showed that ISO 400 film can withstand 12-24 passes through traditional X-ray scanners, and ISO 100 film can withstand more than 24 passes. It's not as simple as saying ISO 400 film is safe and ISO 1600 film will be damaged - it depends on how many cumulative passes/doses the film receives. It's also been said that the higher levels of cosmic radiation encountered during a flight will technically have more of an effect on your film than any airport X-ray scanning. Because it seems quite safe to me, I routinely carry film in my hand luggage and have never noticed any ill effects. Indeed, I took an extended trip in 2004/2005, when some of my (mostly ISO 100 colour reversal) film went through 30 flights, with no ill-effects.

However, now airports are using newer CT (Computed Tomography) technology in their screening equipment, and Kodak Alaris (for one) updated their Storage and Care of KODAK Photographic Materials bulletin with the following info...

When you travel by commercial airline, your checked luggage is commonly subjected to x-ray examination by a CT (Computed Tomography) scanner. Many airport security departments are now investing in additional CT scanners for carry-on bags, with a goal of eventually having the machines at every security checkpoint. To avoid any danger of fogging unprocessed film, always hand-carry your film - including loaded cameras - and always request a visual inspection at the airport security check point.

Note:

- Processed film is not affected by x-rays.

- The traditional door frame walk-through and hand-held metal detectors used to check passengers are not x-ray devices and do not affect film.

- Millimeter wave body scanners use radio waves, and produce no ionizing radiation.

Last summer I travelled through Heathrow Airport in the UK, and just put my film through the scanner as I'm used to doing. Long story short, everything was OK. However, I contacted Heathrow after my trip, enquiring about whether or not they were using CT scanners, and I got this reply...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your recent journey through Heathrow Airport.

I can understand your concerns about taking film through security. We can confirm that independent tests undertaken by the British Photographers' Liaison Committee (BPLC) to establish the detail of any potential damage to film caused by baggage screening machines at airports have given the all-clear to the current hand-luggage x-ray inspection systems installed at Heathrow.

These findings confirm that hand-luggage security scanning machinery is safe for all normal film types (up to and including ISO 400). Current digital camera storage media can also safely be examined by these x-ray machines without sustaining damage.

I am currently unsure on the exact technology used by our x-ray machines, therefore I have contacted our senior team at security for further information. Once we receive a response, myself or another colleague will be back in contact with an update for you.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

This was followed up about two months later with another reply...

Dear Sir

Having looked into your query, I can confirm that we were running trials in August using the CT Scanner and these scanners may impact the camera film, however we would be unable to confirm if your property was scanned using this.

We are currently not using these scanners at this time, however I would advise to check the Heathrow website for future travel, for any updates on the processes used. Our Security Team will also allow hand screening for items such as these to avoid any damage being caused. If you have any concerns when travelling, please speak to an available officer who will be happy to assist you further.

I would like to reiterate our apologies for the delay in our response, and I do hope we are able to welcome you again soon.

So, it seems that Heathrow will soon widely implement this CT scanner technology, if they haven't done so already. But judging by the advice given to me, a hand inspection should be granted if requested. Of course, as always, be courteous, patient and explain nicely :)

I can't see security holding up the line until a supervisor arrives to settle a dispute about hand checking. As has happened to me, they say "OK" and I go through and then watch the belt as my film in a clear plastic bag comes through the machine where they put it. What are you going to do? Tell them to put it in reverse to undo any damage?

I have put the same film several times through the old machines with no problem. I don't know abut the newer CT scanners. And apparently neither do the airport security agents. "...these scanners may impact the camera film,"

James G. Dainis