11 hours ago, Sreek said:

Hi all, can you please suggestme a reliable slr camera today,... something more reliable than F3, if i purchase nowadays..

There are few cameras more reliable than the F3. You'll find loads of threads on the internet from people having issues with the other cameras mentioned in this thread, or any "reliable" camera for that matter.

A mechanical camera is only "better" if you are willing to find and pay for a competent tech to adjust/fix it. In most cases it will cost you more than you paid for the camera. A electronic SLR is not less reliable than mechanical one*.

Besides in many cases an electronic camera can also be repaired, if needed.

With the exception of Leica R9, Nikon F6 and Nikon FM3a, all serious SLR's are more than 20 years old by now and cannot be considered "reliable" as a generalisation.

Your best bet is to find a functioning camera you like and fulfils your needs. If it breaks, you check the cost of repair vs. the cost of replacement.

*I am currently helping a local camera shop sorting and testing a batch of 300 used SLR cameras for functionality. The failure rate of the mechanical cameras appears to be higher than the electronic cameras at this point.

Niels

"There are few cameras more reliable than the F3. - A electronic SLR is not less reliable than mechanical one* - Besides in many cases an electronic camera can also be repaired - The failure rate of the mechanical cameras appears to be higher than the electronic cameras" NHSN

Wait, WHAT ? - Sorry, but in the 'eyes' of this Technician, these comments are patently absurd...👀

- - - - -  Okay

Picture #1 - I can economically fix this Water ravaged Leica M3 (over six decade old, mechanical camera).

Picture #2 - It isn't economical to replace the corroded (buried by electronics; follow the Red Wire) battery chamber on 'Your reliable' Nikon F3.

Not to mention the only parts remedy is to scavenge off of another labor intensive tear-down donor...

Picture #3 - Look at all the delicate complexity of this Leica R8; these are now close to being uneconomical to repair.

Picture #4 - Here's a Nikon F6 which required service even after very little use !

P1040169.JPG

P1040102.JPG

P1040078.JPG

P1040073.JPG

1 hour ago, Gus Lazzari said:

"There are few cameras more reliable than the F3. - A electronic SLR is not less reliable than mechanical one* - Besides in many cases an electronic camera can also be repaired - The failure rate of the mechanical cameras appears to be higher than the electronic cameras" NHSN

Wait, WHAT ? - Sorry, but in the 'eyes' of this Technician, these comments are patently absurd...👀

- - - - -  Okay

Picture #1 - I can economically fix this Water ravaged Leica M3 (over six decade old, mechanical camera).

Picture #2 - It isn't economical to replace the corroded (buried by electronics; follow the Red Wire) battery chamber on 'Your reliable' Nikon F3.

Not to mention the only parts remedy is to scavenge off of another labor intensive tear-down donor...

Picture #3 - Look at all the delicate complexity of this Leica R8; these are now close to being uneconomical to repair.

Picture #4 - Here's a Nikon F6 which required service even after very little use !

P1040169.JPG

P1040102.JPG

P1040078.JPG

P1040073.JPG

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy to work on those cameras, Gus. Fortunately there are others that will work on them with a more enthusiasm if required.

Claiming a Leica M is reliable is somewhat of a stretch - I would rather call them repairable.

Over the past 22 years I have owned 11 M cameras and every single one has needed at least one trip to the shop. That they can be "economically fixed" only holds true when comparing the repair cost to the going rate of Leica on the used market. What do you charge for a Leica CLA these days? Not less than $400 plus parts I presume?

I have owned, and currently own, many more Nikon cameras since the early 80's and only a fraction of those have needed service.

If I worried about total cost of ownership I would never buy a Leica.

Niels

10 hours ago, NHSN said:

There are few cameras more reliable than the F3. You'll find loads of threads on the internet from people having issues with the other cameras mentioned in this thread, or any "reliable" camera for that matter.

A mechanical camera is only "better" if you are willing to find and pay for a competent tech to adjust/fix it. In most cases it will cost you more than you paid for the camera. A electronic SLR is not less reliable than mechanical one*.

Besides in many cases an electronic camera can also be repaired, if needed.

With the exception of Leica R9, Nikon F6 and Nikon FM3a, all serious SLR's are more than 20 years old by now and cannot be considered "reliable" as a generalisation.

Your best bet is to find a functioning camera you like and fulfils your needs. If it breaks, you check the cost of repair vs. the cost of replacement.

*I am currently helping a local camera shop sorting and testing a batch of 300 used SLR cameras for functionality. The failure rate of the mechanical cameras appears to be higher than the electronic cameras at this point.

Thank you....☺️

Very helpful.... 👍

Hi all.. 

Good day to you all..! 

I recently saw some videos about Minolta XG M., Pentax K1000, and Canon AE 1, when I was searching for an alternative to NIKON F3 on the web.... Also saw some models from Olympus OM1 & 2.

After the videos, I lean more towards the Pentax K1000 and Canon AE 1....

Specifically speaking more towards the Pentax.... I don't know if my decision is correct.... Is Canon and Minolta models specified here are good..? 

Is pentax is really a good camera or its just my misunderstanding, considering the hype in social media about the Pentax...? 

National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) If that is your name ?

"you are unhappy to work on those cameras" -  "will work on them with a more enthusiasm"  NHSN

Huh? Who mentioned anything about my feelings or preferences ?

I instead addressed with MUCH more proof than you, a debunking of your WILD claims : "failure rate of the mechanical cameras appears to be higher than the electronic cameras" & "A electronic SLR is not less reliable than mechanical" -

Okay I got it, so now let's have some fun; you'd rather take a Mamiya 6 over a Hasselblad 500C/M ? or a

Minolta XD over a Nikon F2 ? - i.e. See the mirrorbox pictures (1, 2 & 3) of the Nikon F2 vs. the Minolta XD11/Leica R4

"Claiming a Leica M is reliable is somewhat of a stretch" -

Claiming ? Funny how there are hundreds of shutter block assemblies for modern SLR's offered on Ebay, but

NO shutter kits or assemblies for Leica M models...

"Over the past 22 years I have owned 11 M cameras and every single one has needed at least one trip to the shop" -

Yeah sure. Even if I believe you, when you occasionally service a Rolex, it will no doubt last a lifetime… 

"currently own, many more Nikon cameras since the early 80's and only a fraction of those have needed service" -

Well then, you don't own many electronic SLR Nikon's (I do, manual & Electronic - Last picture is 'the stuff' that doesn't fit in my showcases). 

Oh yeah, let's not forget the 'great & reliable' modern AF electronic lenses (see picture).

"worried about total cost of ownership I would never buy a Leica" -

Yeah whatever, I say buy Gold, but for you Crypto is the future…

Finally. unlike the rather opaque NHSN, readers either know who I am or can easily look me up.

They can certainly make the judgement on who is more credible in this 'proof filled' discussion…

P1040098.JPG

P1040099.JPG

P1010679.JPG

Nikon70-210jpg.jpg

L1021571.jpg

Edited by Gus Lazzari
  • Like 2

Pentax K 1000's were a decent value for money when they were made, but they are way over priced today due to internet "wisdom." If you want a Pentax from that era a film KX model is a better choice and probably cheaper.  The community college where I teach owns 30 or more K 1000 cameras which hold up fairly well although the meters are increasingly likely to die and they don't seem to be easily repairable.  Any 30+ year old camera will be a bit of a crap shoot--some have had heavy use or abuse or have sat unused long enough for lubricants to harden or evaporate and may fail at any time.  Some are worse than others and some are more expensive due to hype rather than performance. 

7 hours ago, Gus Lazzari said:

National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) If that is your name ?

"you are unhappy to work on those cameras" -  "will work on them with a more enthusiasm"  NHSN

Huh? Who mentioned anything about my feelings or preferences ?

I instead addressed with MUCH more proof than you, a debunking of your WILD claims : "failure rate of the mechanical cameras appears to be higher than the electronic cameras" & "A electronic SLR is not less reliable than mechanical" -

Okay I got it, so now let's have some fun; you'd rather take a Mamiya 6 over a Hasselblad 500C/M ? or a

Minolta XD over a Nikon F2 ? - i.e. See the mirrorbox pictures (1, 2 & 3) of the Nikon F2 vs. the Minolta XD11/Leica R4

"Claiming a Leica M is reliable is somewhat of a stretch" -

Claiming ? Funny how there are hundreds of shutter block assemblies for modern SLR's offered on Ebay, but

NO shutter kits or assemblies for Leica M models...

"Over the past 22 years I have owned 11 M cameras and every single one has needed at least one trip to the shop" -

Yeah sure. Even if I believe you, when you occasionally service a Rolex, it will no doubt last a lifetime… 

"currently own, many more Nikon cameras since the early 80's and only a fraction of those have needed service" -

Well then, you don't own many electronic SLR Nikon's (I do, manual & Electronic - Last picture is 'the stuff' that doesn't fit in my showcases). 

Oh yeah, let's not forget the 'great & reliable' modern AF electronic lenses (see picture).

"worried about total cost of ownership I would never buy a Leica" -

Yeah whatever, I say buy Gold, but for you Crypto is the future…

Finally. unlike the rather opaque NHSN, readers either know who I am or can easily look me up.

They can certainly make the judgement on who is more credible in this 'proof filled' discussion…

P1040098.JPG

P1040099.JPG

P1010679.JPG

Nikon70-210jpg.jpg

L1021571.jpg

My apologies for concluding on your feelings or preferences, although when re-reading your posts in this tread, I still fail to se your enthusiasm about the electronic cameras discussed.

I can see from this response that you are certainly also master of the art of putting words in someone's mouth.

Anyway, 25 years on photo.net have taught me not to engage with toxicity.

Peace.

• Like 1
Niels

On 11/22/2022 at 10:28 PM, AJG said:

Pentax K 1000's were a decent value for money when they were made, but they are way over priced today due to internet "wisdom." If you want a Pentax from that era a film KX model is a better choice and probably cheaper.  The community college where I teach owns 30 or more K 1000 cameras which hold up fairly well although the meters are increasingly likely to die and they don't seem to be easily repairable.  Any 30+ year old camera will be a bit of a crap shoot--some have had heavy use or abuse or have sat unused long enough for lubricants to harden or evaporate and may fail at any time.  Some are worse than others and some are more expensive due to hype rather than performance. 

I agree with these thoughts. I like a good Pentax, but the KX is a much better built camera than a K 1000, and usually less expensive used in top condition. KX for me all the way. I also like the Pentax Takumar lenses a lot (some of my favorite lenses). I like old Nikkormats, the FTn and later mechanical models. However, I use them with a hand held meter (I favor the Gossen Luna Pro meters). 

As proof that fine mechanical cameras can in fact be brought back to factory era specifications, 

here's the end result - - - And yes, that's a factory Wax "L" seal...

Not perfect, but it will now again provide the owner with years of rangefinder "Wow" factor and accurate shutter speeds etc...

P1040172.JPG

P1040173.JPG

P1040177.JPG

Edited by Gus Lazzari
Added missing word that made more sense.
  • Like 2