Finding a Densitometer

The usual problem, with random pictorial negatives, is that usually there's no single area big enough to get a true density reading from. Densitometer heads generally take an integrated reading from anything between a 3 and 6 mm diameter circle of the negative.

(snip)

The one I have was designed for different sizes, but I got the smallest one. I think 3mm sounds right.

The mirror isn't quite as good as it used to be, and doesn't get enough light though the smaller hole to

reach the calibration point.

I think if I replace the mirror, aim it carefully, then it might work.

But it was only $10, so not a big loss if I don't get it to work.

Macbeth TD-102 for those counting.

• Like 1

-- glen

The truth is that nobody, outside of a professional colour processing lab, needs a densitometer.

None of the pro darkrooms I've worked in or visited had one in evidence - although I never ransacked the cupboards to see if there was one hidden away and forgotten.

I only own one - a Sakura PDA 081 - because it was handed to me as surplus to requirements. It was fun to build a base and light-source for it, and then play with it checking a few negatives....they were fine! End of story. It's had no serious use whatsoever in the last 10 years.

P.S. A densitometer certainly won't protect you from those crazy incidents where a developer suddenly goes bad, or conversely you get over-dense negatives for no known reason!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1