Minolta Scan Dual III and Windows XP

I have been using a Minolta Scan Dual III with Windows ME with no

problems. After installing the software onto a new system with

Windows XP, I am having problems. The program freezes in the middle

of an operation with either Vuescan or the Minolta software. Anyone

have any suggestions?

Thanks

Alan...I just finished spending two hours trying to get my SDlll to work. It finally appears that all is now OK. I bought the unit about 2 months ago. I attempted to install it on my WinXP Pro system. I couldn't. I ended up formatting another drive with Win 2000, dual booting my computer then installing SDlll on the win2000 side. It was a pain. Today I deceided that I'd get it going on XP. As I said I did but it was a challange that Minolta is no help with...there is 9-5 phone in help only with them, nothing online...for shame! Anyhow I believe that the problem is twofold. First off the Minolta software is crappy and second Via's USB drivers don't work as well as they should. So my advice to you is uninstall the Minolta drivers. Upgrade your VIA USB drivers then reinstall the Minolta program...good luck...jim

Thank you to everyone who responded. I solved my problem by downloading the latest version of Vuescan. Apparently there were some issues with this scanner and USB 2.0. I didn't even install the Minolta software, except for the twain driver.

Thanks again

Anybody with Scan Dual III, with the Twain driver installed, please take a look in photoshop 7.0's pulldown menu:

View|Proof Setup|Custom

Are there profiles in the dialogue box containing the words "Scan Dual"?

I'm asking because with Scan Dual II, setting profile to "Scan Dual2 (posi input)" and ticking the "preserve color numbers" box dramatically brightens display, allowing direct dust and scratch clean up of Vuescan Raw files.

Please post any info on this, or email me direct.

Thanks.

I was running MSD 3 on xpHE with a usb 2 card, and had the same hanging problems. Long story short, downloaded sp1, reinstalled everything and it works beautiful. I'm using the minolta software and this stuff is quick, no hangs, problems, crashes, nothing, just great scans.

I have been using the ScanDual III for about 3 months now with WinXP Pro. I have never had even a single issue with this configuration. So far this combination has been working great. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Erik.

• 7 months later...

I have the Minolta scan dual 2. I am running windows xp on a compaq presario with a pentium III. Anyone know where and how I update my USB ports, or if this is a VIA motherboard.

I cannot get the new XP drivers to work at all I have tried installing uninstalling over and over again. I even got a disc sent to me from minolta with the latest software. I have gone into the device manager and tried to update the drivers manually, but it wont let me search the disc or the software file.

The software doesnt run it just says Error=1. Please help

• 1 month later...
The key is to install the Minolta software/drivers with ethe scanner disconnected from the computer. After installation, connect the usb cable, and let windows do its thing. Also insure you have the correct USB drivers installed. If this is done correctly, there should be no issues.

I didn't experience any problems installing my SD III on WinXP (and Intel chipset motherboard). Furthermore, the Minolta software has been performing fine. However, I have heard of other people with Via chipset motherboards having problems so I think that's the culprit. I very much doubt that Vuescan is the answer to this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an original Minolta Dimage Scan Dual (SCSI), that according to Minolta would not work with Win XP.

I was on Minolta's website (which is not very usable), and did not find a new driver for the original Scan Dual, and I learned this:

Notes on use with Windows XP Home Edition / Windows XP Professional.

1.Hardware compatibility

There are two types of Dimage Scan Dual hardware, one type does not support the New Power Macintosh G3 (Blue&White) and the other does. Only the latter type is compatible with Windows XP.

Your Dimage Scan Dual unit can be used on Windows XP if ....>

a) Box

-If a "Compatible with New G3" triangle-shape sticker is present on the outside of the box.

b)Enclosures

- If the New Power Macintosh G3 is listed in the system requirements table in the instruction manual for Macintosh.

- If an insertion sheet involving the information about the New Power Macintosh G3 was supplied in the kit.

- If the Dimage Scan Dual CD-ROM contains version 2.1.0 or later driver.

2.Driver software installation

You must be logged on as a computer administrator to complete the installation.

I went to www.hamrick.com, and downloaded Vuescan, which will drive the scanner under Win XP.. I think Vuescan software has been thoroughly reviewed here at photo.net, getting rave reviews. I don�t mind paying $60 for Vuescan.

I do mind, however, that Minolta is too lazy to bother supporting their products. I can assure you that I won�t be buying anything of theirs again any time soon due to this lack of support.

• 4 weeks later...

Scott - that's really interesting to hear - I'm on the point of borrowing a friend's Scan Dual (SCSI) to use on my XP machine and it looks like I'll have to do a bit more checking up first, particularly before buying a SCSI adapter.

I'm a bit ignorant about what SCSI connector the Scan Dual (SCSI) uses and unfortunately the scanner is inaccessible at the moment - the original kit seemed to have come with an Adaptec AVA-1505 card which has a 25 pin external socket and a 50 pin internal socket. Which of these does the Scan Dual connect to?

It would also be interesting to know what SCSI adapter you're using on your XP machine, and whether you are using an XP driver for the SCSI adapter as well - there don't seem to be too many XP drivers available for SCSI cards, particularly the older ones.

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...
Hi As you guys have been so helpful to my reading, here's my solution from Minolta. Uninstall the software. Disconnect all USB devices from the PC. Install the software, remove the disk and restart the machine. When the machine is running, connect the Scanner USB to one of the ports which are on the motherboard and switch it on. Use the control panel to enter hardware device drivers. Check through the whole display and if you find the scanner with a fault sign next to it, right click and reinstall the driver. This worked for me, Yipeee!