Agility in poor light

tonybeach_1961

It's a sort of sport, both taxing for the handler as well as the dog. Most dogs can move faster than most people, and a few people have trained their dogs so well that they can stand in the middle of the ring and direct the dog through every obstacle, but everyone I see out there runs around the ring guiding their dog to run out in front of them and come back towards them as they negotiate the course. Anyway, it's a bit of a challenge for me as a photographer to capture these dogs going over jumps and through the weave poles (the two most visually compelling things they do out there), and that is made all the more difficult by the fact that most of the venues have terrible lighting.

This Saturday I was videoing my girlfriend's border collie and while I was waiting for her and her dog to do their runs I brought along my D500 and AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens to try and catch some usable shots. The EXIF data is stripped from the smaller files I share from Imageevent here, but that's hardly a problem since every shot here was taken at f/2.8, 200mm, and ISO 6400. There was a lot of pushing of the conversions of the resulting exposure, and a fair amount of cropping too, all of which added to the noise, but at these sizes it was all reasonably manageable.

_TB32178_v2.jpg

_TB32417.jpg

_TB32408.jpg

_TB32477.jpg

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...