Is the P67II easier to load than the P6x7?

peter_hughes

I recently sold my Pentax 6x7. Not that I didn't like the camera,

just that I found it exasperatingly difficult to load. I got tired of

being on a shoot, with models, an assistant, stylists, etc., and

fumbling with the film and the take-up spool. I actually almost

unraveled a roll on a couple of occasions!

My question is, does anyone know if the new P67II is any easier to

load?

I've just got a P67II, and have found it somewhat challenging to load! (Never had a P67, so can't compare) I am getting used to it, and am finding that I can do it every time as long as I am not trying to do it in record time. However, the my previous camera, a Mamiya C330F, was MUCH easier!

Hello Peter, It is a pleasure to see you on the forum again. I am suprised you sold the Pentax 67. It is not a great camera to load, but better than most. The older, pre MLU models, had better spool holders. I think that all the Pentax 67's are better than the standard interchangeable back MF cameras.

I accidently unspooled a roll with my Contax 645 on the first pro session I did with it. It actually loads similar to a Hasselblad, but upside down and from the back.

The Fuji GA645Zi is the easiest loading MF camera I have seen. No lining up of arrows and it has an automatic advance to the first frame.

Whenever I am fumbling with a roll of film (and it happens as often with my old Nikons as my new MF's) I recall my 16mm film days feeding Arriflex, Auricon, Eclaire and Bolex. 120/220 is a pleasure when I recall the maze of gates and gears that movie shooters are dealing with.

Frank

Peter, Frank just got a new Contax 645! Bug him about it! Now if we could only apply APS technology to rollfilm? I have heard that Rollei 6000 series are easier to load. I have to ask if historical film loading issues are part of the reasons for the popularity of 35mm, Instamatic and its ilk? I agree that loading roll film is a bit of a pain, but it's easier than 4x5 etc.

I have a Hassy and it's a pleasure to load--hardly automatic, but at least smooth and reliable. That was the damned thing about the Pentax: no matter how careful I was, I was never sure of getting the spools in right without fumbling. Sometimes it went 1,2,3 and sometimes 1,2,#&%@!*!

Other than that, I loved the camera and would recommend it to anyone who had the patience to deal with the loading.

I sold it (a) because of the loading and (b) because I found myself using my EOS-3 for most of my shooting. And I needed the trade-in value to buy a lens for that camera.

I've had a P67 for about 4 years and agree that it is a pain to load due solely to the difficulty getting the spool sprockets to engage.

I was the proud recipient of a P67II for Christmas and can say that FOR ME it is substantially easier to load. I've not ever had trouble with spool engagement. I even spent a day with it on my 600 f/4 in portrait (sideways), which used to be the ultimate frustration with my P67, with not a single glitch. I also have a 645Zi and agree it is easier to load but the gap is much narrower now.

One note, the Fuji spools (you know the ones with the quick hook) never helped my loading difficulties with my P67. They work great in the P67II again due to the ease of spool engagement. There is always the chance that this particular 67II is just easy. I'd always thought my particular P67 was just annoying until I read the posts complaining about it.

Peter and company, The way I dealt with the bad spooling mechanism on my Pentax 67 was to shoot Ilford HP5 or Delta. Ilford spools have a cross shaped slot giving 100% more space to engage the Pentax or any other camera mechanism. It is also great B/W film. Frank

Simple answer - in my opinion there is no noticeable difference between loading a P67II and a recent P67 (not II). The wind-on mechanism is rather smoother which helps, but the loading itself is as fiddly as it was before.

One major advantage of the P67II over the P67 is that the LCD on top of the camera reminds you when you haven't wound the film on.

Have to agree with Kim, there is virtually no difference between the P67 and P67II when loading. I am sitting here looking inside the two backs and they look identical as far as the sprockets, etc. It remains one of my major complaints about the Pentax system, which I usually defend.