lens for 1:1 8x10 work?

mateo_leyba1

I have some items to shoot that are about 8x10 in size and I would like them to be actual size or close to it on an 8x10 neg. Am I correct in thinking I want a lens that works well for 1:1 work? Anyone have ideas on the best lens for this type of thing? I will only be doing B&W work so maybe there is an old sleeper I could use?

Thanks!

mateo

You will need to determine focal length of the lens first and that will depend on the amount of bellows extension that your camera has. The formula is 1/focal length = 1/subject distance + 1/ image distance. Once that you have determined the focal length that will work, then I would look toward the Schneider G Claron lenses that will fit into that formula since they were optimized for 1 to 1 work. Even though they will work well at infinity.

Mateo. If you've got a quality 150mm or even a 135mm enlarger lens mount it and have a look before you spend a fortune. It will cover 8X10 at 1:1. A 150 or 210 G-Claron is excellent in those ranges and certainly affordable, and the 210 will cover your 810 at infinity in spite of what Schneider will tell you.

To make things simpler, at 1:1 magnification the lens will be twice its focal length from the ground glass. A 305mm lens requires 610mm bellows at 1:1. At that magnification with an 8x10 camera you need to think about lighting. You've got a big camera only several inches from the subject, can you light it evenly without shadows from the camera? A longer lens helps but you need a loooong bellows and a very stable support, probably two tripods. A 150mm or 210mm G-Claron might be a good choice although the lens to subject distances are short, a 305mm G-Claron is the one I'd reach for (since I don't have a 355mm). You might also look at what enlarging lenses you have available. If this is a one-time requirement that might make more sense than spending a few hundred dollars.

Why dont you experiment with the lenses you already have. I've been doing some 1:1 and closer on 12x20 with a 135mm Xenar f3.5 for some interesting results. Yes it barely covers but it is F3.5 :-) and purty nice for the sharp, soft bokeh look. You will be surprised at how many lenses will cover at 1:1.

Lots in the archives on this subject. Correctly, the shortest lens that will cover 8x10 , not only is less bellows extension

needed, also less complicated to establish good exposure and

less light needed. A lens that can be had for a few $$$ is

the Polaroid 135mm.

As others have mentioned, G-Clarons are a good choice. I believe they are out of production, so if you want to buy new, you should buy soon. I bought a 240mm recently from Robert White at a nice low price, but he is running out...

CXC