VIVITAR MACROFLASH 5000 and Canon A1

nathan_ray

I've got a Tokina ATX 90mm 2.5 macro, and it's an incredible lens!

Now I would like to buy a ring flash for macro photo ( I use Canon

A1).

What about the VIVITAR MACROFLASH 5000?

Can I have a good result with it?

Please if someone try it, post some macro photo, I really appreciate

it!

Thanks.

Nathan.

Nathan, Before buying a ring flash, you might check out some of the discussions about this subject. It seems that most macro users prefer a single flash mounted on a flash bracket instead of a ring flash. I am far from an expert on this subject, but many including John Shaw, the macro guru, likes the single flash better. good luck with you venture into macro.

David

I have a Vivitar Macroflash 5000 and use it with my A1 and other Canon

manual bodies with excellent results for what I was using it for.

Generally technical pictures like electronic circuit boards, automotive components - used for instructional purposes, etc. But one of my favourite pictures taken with the flash, and a FD50mm macro lens, was a potrait - head shot of my Main Coon cat. Exposure was excellent, perfect color, eyes perfect, and because the flash was very limited as far as distance was concerned, the background was completely blacked out, making the potrait even more dramatic! The only problem was 2 small circular highlights in her eyes from the flash, which were very easily removed using Corel PhotoPaint (similar to Photoshop), once I had scanned the neg into digital format.

Also, since the flash doesn't have two flash tubes like the Canon ML1, ML2, ML3, etc., you could block off 1/2 the flash, or whatever, to obtain the results you want. Requires experimentation and possibly a flash lightmeter would be a good investment, for any macro flash setup. And these ringlights have been marketed under different brand names and do come up on e-bay occassionally for quite reasonable, affordable prices.

Good luck!

Malcolm