update on Rollei 6008i review

wim_van_velzen

Solaris is Sun Microsystem's verision of Unix, and there are a number of browser choices. Not much works well in the browsers of Unix platforms these days. Sadly, most web sites gear features for Wintel platforms. Since a very high percentage of users will be using Netscape or IE on Windows, I wouldn't loose too much sleep that the Solaris version of netscape (or whatever browser on Solaris) doesn't work.

Nice site and thanks for putting the review out there!

Wim,

You continue to amaze me! Right - first of all, I'm going to go to Scotland. That is at least cheaper than the Rollei. Your Rollei shots are very pleasing, especially as you've just switched over systems.

The Rollei sounds like its a joy to use. The images you've crafted support the review very well. Shame to hear you're moving from Bronica tho'!

Best of luck with the new system.

Jason,

<p>

I did love my Bronica EC system (look at this <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/publication01.htm">article</a>), but the specimens I had were in real need of retirement. They still can be used for landscape work, but it felt a bit tricky for weddings.

<p>

That is why I changed. Nothing bad about the Bronica EC & EC-tl, but mine grew old.

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

Greetings Wim,

I just read your Rollei update and must tell you a couple of things.

First, I have never had any interest in wedding photography; neither my nerves, nor my knees, could take it. But, your sepia portrait of the couple on the steps stopped me dead in my tracks. To think that I have the same outfit, right downstairs, almost makes me want to get into the wedding business. Well, almost. So, I have done the next best thing, and sent your site to a coworker who is in a long engagement (4 (!) years) and wants me to learn how to do weddings in that interim, so that I can shoot his.

Turning to the camera, I note that you are using auto flash mode, not TTL. If you are like me, I have yet to figure the benefits of this bizarre Rollei setup. I have the new Metz 70 MZ5, which is certainly a powerful unit, but between its complexities and the camera's peculiar manual requirements, and conflicting instructions on settings, I just haven't had time or inclination to get used to the flash set up. I'll be interested in any encouragement you can offer.

I particularly identified (with a grin) with your findings of the hair-trigger releases on the remote and (for me especially), the grip. I remarked about these light-touch buttons, in a rather light-touch way, in a post of mine, and it triggered some responses of lofty arrogance, predicated on ignorance, that I hope you don't get. (It would seem that there is a fair number of respondents here who pop off with hair-trigger "answers" that might better be confined to their own brand knowledge and forum.)

Finally, I'd like to hear more about how worthwhile you find the lens extensions. I have been contemplating them, but was unsure of their use with my lens selection (40, 80, 75-150/macro, and 180) Any comments on which lens/ext combos you find most useful, would be appreciated.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray,

<p>

<b>RE: flash</b><br>

All those years using my Bronica for MF I never missed flash TTL metering. I don't use fill flash that often (actually almost only inside, not in the open air), so I never felt it a necessity.<br>

Therefore it hasn't been on my wish list for the Rollei. I just set the same aperture on my 45CL4 as on the camera (or a stop over or under, according to specific situation). Works fine, apart from one point: the x-contact cable fits rather loose in the camera.

<p>

<b>RE: tubes</b><br>

I did one wedding without any tubes and it was a pain to get a meaningful photo of the flowers. In the end I had the negative printed to 20x27cm and cut it to 20x20cm.<br>

A 9mm is certainly useful for the 80mm lens, but the first to buy should IMO be the 17mm. As the extension of the 150/180mm lens itself is about 18mm it leaves no gap. And a 150 or 180 is most useful for close-up situations.<br>

That said, I don't know how close you can get with the zoom - just measure the extension of the lens when you turn it from infinity to the closest distance (at the same focal length) and then you 'need' to have the tube with about the same extension.<br>

In other words: if you will use it mainly with the 80mm, your first choice would be the 9mm, with the 180mm it would be the 17mm.

<p>

And about some answers on this forum: we are all just like real people ;-)

<p>

Hope this all makes sense, <a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

Wim,

Wouldn't a close-up lens make more sense then an extension tube? Especially during a wedding, you just put them on and of in a breeze. Far easier then using tubes. I have tubes for my hasselblad but prefer using proxars. Very small, fits into my shirt pocket and attaches in 2 secs when I want it.

Just a thought.

Succes

Bas

Hi Bas,

<p>

I certainly would think about close-up lenses for wedding use - but for landscape & nature I like the fact that tubes can be combined without restriction, while using multiple lenses would degrade image quality.

<p>

In other words: I think tubes are more flexible for use for several lenses and combinations.

<p>

<a href="http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl">Wim</a>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wim,

Like you, I looked at all the different cameras and settled on the Rollei. I am ever so glad I did.

You made a quick comment on the three dimensionality of the camera and lenses, and you're right. Slides projected or printed from this camera have an alomost stereo look to them. Incredible.

Someone else mentioned he doesn't understand why more people are not moving to this system and it's follow-on the 6008AF. For me (please, I am not trying to start a flame war) the use of the Schneider lenses has proven to be an advantage over the Swedish system. The grip makes this camera a perfect fit in almost any hand (yes, this would be a disadvantage to a left handed person). The list of features make this an almost fully outfitted camera from the first day. Sure some won't need all it's features - today. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Dale,

I have a left handed brother who seems to like being 'different' (if this is a real difference, the individual needs to choose). He's almost pathetic when it comes to using his right hand. I guess that's where my paradigm comes from. Thanks for setting me straight that the left handed (right minded ;~) of the world can use the Rollei without problem.

The use of right hand by a left handed person does very some. I assume it is true for righted people as well.

The use of the grip on my right hand has it limits as I noted earlier. My personal left handed experiece is the motor skills used to turn the channels and volume level on a 1960's vintage TV equals the skills needed to use the grip. As child of the 1960s, I would hold a TV guide in my left hand and turn the nob with my right.

In any case the 6008 is one lovely camera to use. It feels like a part of my right hand.