Is my Contax T2 dying?

pedroffraga

Hi guys,

This week, after months of no photographing activities, I went through my cameras (that I had been keeping away, with no batteries) again. After putting back the battery inside of my Contax T2, when I turned it on I noticed the lens was coming out slightly slower than what it used to. I even tried to compare the process' speed to some Youtube videos. Also, when I turned the camera off, the lens would also go away slower AND make a strange noise after coming back.

I saw that the low battery sign was appearing on the display, so I got a new battery; but what I described above still keeps happening (although, of course, I can't see the low battery sign anymore)!

The camera apparently still works flawlessly; I tried the 2 flash modes and multiple aperture choices (implying, then, in different speeds, which sounds appeared befitting to their numbers), albeit with no film.

Still, I wonder if my Contax T2 is (electronically) dying, or if (trying to be optimistic here lol) there is some sort of internal component misaligned. I haven't found another person on the internet who's had this and came back to say how they fixed it (or if it was even the same problem).

I recorded the turning on and off process and I uploaded the video here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Thank you all for helping me!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a T2, and then one day the lens refused to pop out. End of story, end of camera. Ever since then I have never considered buying a camera that uses that approach. The Contax T and Minox 35 which use human power to open the lens flap still continue to work to this day. I hope your T2 continues to work, but be prepared for the worst.
Robin Smith

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/5/2020 at 3:51 PM, pedroffraga said:

Hi guys,

This week, after months of no photographing activities, I went through my cameras (that I had been keeping away, with no batteries) again. After putting back the battery inside of my Contax T2, when I turned it on I noticed the lens was coming out slightly slower than what it used to. I even tried to compare the process' speed to some Youtube videos. Also, when I turned the camera off, the lens would also go away slower AND make a strange noise after coming back.

I saw that the low battery sign was appearing on the display, so I got a new battery; but what I described above still keeps happening (although, of course, I can't see the low battery sign anymore)!

The camera apparently still works flawlessly; I tried the 2 flash modes and multiple aperture choices (implying, then, in different speeds, which sounds appeared befitting to their numbers), albeit with no film.

Still, I wonder if my Contax T2 is (electronically) dying, or if (trying to be optimistic here lol) there is some sort of internal component misaligned. I haven't found another person on the internet who's had this and came back to say how they fixed it (or if it was even the same problem).

I recorded the turning on and off process and I uploaded the video here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Thank you all for helping me!

My contax t2 is doing the exact same thing and making that exact sound in the video. Did your contax survive or should I be worried??? I’ve only had the camera since September of this year

"I noticed the lens was coming out slightly slower than what it used to"

Well, the quick video you supplied shows what I would call a normal function.

But, it also shows that it's likely a high-mileage sample that you own (many abrasions on your Titanium finish).

I highly recommend that you follow these suggestions for extending its life - - -

1. Stop shutting off the camera !

2. Allow the camera to go to sleep on its own.

3. When you wish to use it, simply tap the release button to 'Wake-Up' the camera.

4. Avoid the camera's 'Tucking In" lens action - i.e. To make the body smaller (Limit this to film & battery changes etc.).

All this to limit the mileage on the lens connection flex ribbon (FPC) that eventually experiences the 'Paper Clip' effect (bend it enough times & it breaks).

Remember, these complex little cameras were considered 'Light Duty' when they were new (Long life was never part of their design)...

P1040187.JPG

• Like 1