What Happened to George Lepp's 2200 paper profiles?

The ones for Lustre, Semi-Matte, Enhanced Matte and Matter Paper Heavyweight are great. They gave me the most neutral, evenly saturated and best shadow detail results versus the Epson provided profiles or any other combination of settings I tried when printing the Kodak PhotoDisk test file.

<I>but removed them when he discovered restrictions in the MonacoPROOF license. . ." (http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_3.html)

</I><P>

What was the licensing problem? If you make a profile with a profiling tool you can't distribute it??!<P>

Wouldn't that be a little like saying if I write some software with Microsoft VC++ I can't sell or distribute the software without paying a licensing fee to Microsoft? Even Bill Gates in his wildest, most avaricious money-grubbing dreams wouldn't try that. (although didn't Sun once try to pull that with someting to do with Java?)

Actually, that kind of stuff used to be common in the software industry. 15-20 years ago, if you compiled a program under one of Microsoft's compilers (Basic, Cobol, Fortran, FoxBase) you had to buy a "runtime library" license for every machine that you wanted to run it on. Competing compilers used to make a big thing about "royalty free runtimes" in their advertising.

And yes, that's how many profile licensing systems work, from expensive tools like Monoco, right down to Cheney's "Profile Prism".

Ciao!

Joe

<I>And yes, that's how many profile licensing systems work, from expensive tools like Monoco, right down to Cheney's "Profile Prism".</I><P>

That's bizarre! They sell you the tool and demand rights to whatever you made with it! It would be like if I bought a drill from Dewalt and a hammer from Stanley and used them to build a house, and they end up fighting it out in court over which one owns my new house! <P>

Companies with policies like that make me want to steal their software just for the fun of violating their license!

>Since they were freeware, would anyone here who has them be so kind as to send them to me. Thanks. Jeffrey

I have the 3 2200 profiles that Tim Grey did for Mr. Lepp. They weigh in right at 1 meg each, but I suspect they'll zip up a bit smaller. Anyhoo, I'll be happy to send them to you Jeffrey, if you haven't found them yet. I can accomodate a few others - but alas, I don't own a web server. By the way, I can't recommend Tim's DDQ daily newsletter enough - I think it's www.timgrey.com. Best Wishes ...beau

Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether or not these licensing agreements have been upheld by any court? It seems to me that there are all kinds of onerous things that people are required to sign as part of the purchase of software, but I've heard that frequently the agreements havve no legal standing at all.

This news is a real bummer! I just sent the link to these profiles

to myself at home from work the other day, and I hadn't

downloaded them yet because I have yet to get my 2200. I

recently attended a John Shaw seminar and he told us about

these profiles because he said they were very good.

Now they are no longer available (I just tried the link and got a

404 error too). Like I said, a definite bummer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...