EOS1N and Zing Pro SLR Cover

john_baker4

I have seen the Zing Pro SLR cover advertised and was wondering if

anyone has had any experience of using it?

I am particularly interested in hearing how they work with the EOS1N,

with either the Power Drive Booster E1 or the smaller Battery Pack BP-

E1 fitted.

I am looking for a very lightweight cover and protection when

carrying just the camera with drive fitted and a smaller zoom fitted

and would like to know if they are worth considering??

For those wanting to see the covers see -

http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/body_z_1.htm

Like the vast majority of people, I have a number of bags, some are light and some are very substantial, some are big and some are small, most of them don�t get out very often � why do we always end up with bags of bags?

The problem is that I am getting to the stage, that occasionally I don�t want to take everything; even the lightest bag at times carries too much� All I really want at times is the basic minimum of kit; probably just the EOS 1N, Battery Pack-E1 and a 20-35 zoom, with spare film and a polarizer in a pocket.

The Zing looked like it would provide some basic protection for the camera, while being simple and easy to remove, which is all I am really after.

Another thought. The Zing "covers' appear to be copies of the old leather "Ever-ready cases" sold by camera manufacturers years ago. They became known as "Never-ready cases" because by the time you got your camera out of the case, the photo opportunity was gone. If you did manage to get it out, you had to figure what to do with the case. That's why they are rarely seen nowadays.

My never ready cases always ended up on the ground around my feet. I like the holseters but they work better if they are not a shug fit. The Canon Holster is said to fit the ELan7 with battery pack attached but with that combo good luck getting the camera out of the bag. The holster was however a perfect fit for my t90 and would allow for a "quick draw" of the camera as it wasn'y too snug. You also did not have that onnoxious top case cover swinging like a pendelum under the camera attached by the little steel hook. Which is why the top of the case always wound up on the ground at my feet. Now I just carry the camera slung across my shoulder by thestrap and it keeps just fine. It doesn't get banegd up either. But I am not in the habit of tossing it around either.

"The problem is that I am getting to the stage, that occasionally I don�t want to take everything; even the lightest bag at times carries too much� All I really want at times is the basic minimum of kit; probably just the EOS 1N, Battery Pack-E1 and a 20-35 zoom, with spare film and a polarizer in a pocket.

The Zing looked like it would provide some basic protection for the camera, while being simple and easy to remove, which is all I am really after."

I was after some of the same things a while back. Simple protection for when i want to throw the camera in the car with one lens, maybe two smaller lenses and a couple rolls of film and a filter.

I bought the Kinesis 570. It works awsome, is comfortable to carry, easy to use and offers better protection than i expected. It is also quite weatherproof. The pocket is even big enough for a 550ex flash with an omni-bounce on it. It holds the body of my choice (eos-1 or D30 with booster/battery grip) and a 70-200 f2.8 OR a 20-35L and a 50 f1.4. Smaller versions are available as well.

In other words, Bill knows what he is talking about when he pointed you too Kinesis. It is a more usefull sollution than the Zing in my opinion.

I have tried the Zing pro slr cover last week in one of the local shops. When I tried to fit my old eos 1 (without booster) and my 85/1.2 lens + hood, they can only marginally fit in the Zing cover, but looked very ugly. So I would really suggest you to go to a local shop and try it out with your existing gears. In my case, I gave up.

I am sorry that Bill felt I had already decided on the Zing � far from it�

The problem is that being based in the UK, both the Kinesisgear and the Kenesis are not readily available in the local shops, even the Zing would have had to been a mail order. As many have pointed out in other posting, many of these things do not do what they say on the tin�

I remember too well the problems of the traditional never ready, I must admit that most of the time I only used the base section which improved the fit and gave some protection and normally left the front cover behind.

I will keep looking � many thanks for all the help & suggestions

I used the Zing motorwinder covers, standard and long snout, on Nikon F4s and found them excellent. They do just what they claim, keep the rain off the camera.

With a bit of experimenting I found that they are very easy to get on and off and when you take them off you just push your wrist through the snout hole and carry on shooting.

I got rid of them when I sold the Nikons because they're a tight fit and wouldn't be kind to the plastic lenshoods on my Canon lenses.