In 1935 Kodak marketed Kodachrome. This color film consists of multiple coats of black & white film emulsions. It is initially developed to yield a negative black & white image. The film is then re-developed to create three positive black & white images. This is accomplished using three separate black & white developers containing a color developer. The color developers were C-16 (cyan), M-38 (magenta) and Y-54 (yellow). To my knowledge CD-1, CD-2 or CD-3 was not used.

Due to the complexity of the Kodachrome process, a search for a simpler method was occurring. The answer was, incorporate incomplete dye into the film’s emulsion during manufacture. These were to be organic cyan, magenta, and yellow dye, in the Leuco (Greek white or hidden) state. Making such suitable dyes, missing the same ingredient is arduous.

CD-1 was first used in the production of Afgacolor in 1936 by ORWO a subsidiary of Filmfabrik Wolfen under the umbrella of I.G. Farben.

Using similar technology Kodak introduced a family of incorporated color film and paper products using similar chemistry. C-2 in color intermediate and color internegatives for motion picture applications and CD-3 and CD-4 in color negative and color positive films.

Essentially, these incorporated color films contain Leuco cyan, magenta, and yellow dyes. During developing, a tuft of metallic silver is precipitated. Dissolved oxygen in the waters of the developer react with this silver. This is the catalyst that causes the CD (contains the missing ingredient) to unite with the Leuco dye; thus it blossoms into a full blown dye in proportion to the amount of silver laid down.

• Like 1

In 1935 Kodak marketed Kodachrome. This color film consists of multiple coats of black & white film emulsions. It is initially developed to yield a negative black & white image. The film is then re-developed to create three positive black & white images. This is accomplished using three separate black & white developers containing a color developer. The color developers were C-16 (cyan), M-38 (magenta) and Y-54 (yellow). To my knowledge CD-1, CD-2 or CD-3 was not used.

(snip)

OK, it was my understanding, mostly analogous to later process chemistry, that C-16, M-38 and Y-54 were color couplers similar to those used with later films.

Specifically, that a color developer was used along with them. Though that unlike the couplers used in other films which are hydrophobic, the Kodachrome couplers are water soluble. But that belief was based on very little evidence. (Evidence being in important discussions in the US Senate today.).

Thanks though for the note about Agfacolor and CD-1.

-- glen

• 2 years later...

The Mannes and Godowsky Kodachrome patent of 1938 specifies CD-1 as the developing agent, the colour couplers they specified were:

cyan: 2-phenyl-phenol

yellow: acetoacetanilide 

magenta: 1-phenyl-3-methyl-5-pyrazolone

these couplers produce poorer density when used with CD-3 or CD-4

The later K14 process used the newer couplers ( C-16 (cyan), M-38 (magenta) and Y-54 (yellow), and CD-4 for cyan, CD-6 for yellow and CD-3 for magenta (according tho the K14 processing manual)

• 5 weeks later...

Kodachrome K-14 was an amazing process. Not many people had a good grasp on the process. Perhaps the most difficult process to keep in control. I spent 6 days a week analyzing all the constituents on this process. Coupler concentrations, re exposure filters, critical temperatures, and tribulation rates. Best 20 years of my life!

• Like 1