Will nikon discontinue AF-S 80-200 or not?

john_wang2

"It wouldn't make sense to me to have both the 80-200 AF-S and the newer lens in the lineup. The functionality overlap between the two is too great to keep building both. I can see leaving the older 2-ring zoom and the newer one in the lineup, though."<p>

Hmmm, for users with both FM3A and F100, the new 70-200VR wouldn't cut it, but the older 80-200AFS would.

Wasn't the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF-S already discontinued a while back? Maybe that info isn't correct.

I too feel that it makes no sense to have 3 simultaneous versions of the 70/80-200mm/f2.8 zoom. There should be plenty of the non-VR AF-S version in the used market as people upgrade to the new VR. People who don't want the G lens probably either have the non-VR AF-S version already or can pick one up easily from the used market.

For those who use even older bodies, such as MF or very early AF, there is no point to pay for AF-S. Just get the non-AF-S two-touch 80-200mm/f2.8 D and save a few hundred dollars, more if used.

I think my question has almost nothing to do with prediction through. As we all KNOW 70-200 AFS VR is out. As we all KNOW it's

the AFS 80-200 or AFD 80-200's upgrade. We also KNOW 70-200 has no

a-ring. Keep AFD or AFS is the big question for all of us. If Nikon can olny keep one of them I also agree with keeping AFD. However,

if Nikon can keep the MF system for ever they might keep the AFS

for good. Drop a little bit price, I wish ^_^ (highly unlikely)

Not only is the AF-N version cheaper than the AF-S, it's also lighter, thinner and has a more reasonable number of elements (making it less flare prone). Its autofocus is very fast and it has a better tripod collar (in my opinion) than the AF-S version. It is also fully compatible with just about every body in Nikon's SLR history. So I'm sure that they'll keep the AF-N rather than the AF-S non-VR in production. There is still time to buy the AF-S non-VR version if you want it. (Those who need AF-S yet want compatibility with e.g. F90X may want to do just this.)