Critique Requests ( Nature) an observation

jason_eadie

It seems to me that a huge number of critque requests are shot using

digital equipment (and look great). Are any of you Guys shoting film

only anymore? or is everyone experimenting in both. Do you enjoy

digital? If shoting both film and digital, does the digital generally

get more PS work? J.

Still 100% film amd proud of it. In fact thinking of going to 4x5 as my next purchase. As it is I go out with a Mamiya 645 and Olympus OM gear, so not only all film, I am also all manual focus with prime lenses!!

Digital intrigues me only from the can preview the shot aspect.

Digital scares me because cameras will become a commodity and obsolete as fast as a computer. In 1990 I remember having to spend over $2400 for a computer/12"monitor combo that was not even top notch (those were $5000). Today $700 gets a full computer combo. I think today we are at that 1990 equilivent. So maybe in a few years prices will drop significantly due to Moores law and cheap Chinese labor.

But even if dSLR prices drop, I doubt digital will have an effective lifespan past 3 years. Just expect that every 3 years to have to replace your computer, OS, Photoshop, camera, and printer.

Of course someday people will long for the days when cameras were simple mechanical toys and the glory of a Velvia chrome..........

Still shooting 100% film for anything I intend to make a print of. I have a small P&S digital, but use it as such. All serious shots are on film.

I don't see the reason to spend thousands of dollars more to be able to duplicate what I can do now. I don't make my living from this, and as an avid amateur, digital has not reached a price point to compete with film for my dollars.

100% film for wildlife, P&S digital for the rest.

I'd love to have a DSLR, but haven't found exactly what I need in a body yet. The closest match is a Nikon D1X/D1H... though the $$$ for either of those has kept me from purchase. When I identify exactly what product works best for my needs and can deal successfully with the various inevitable issues (e.g. reduced frame size, backwards lens incompatability, etc) then I'll join the DSLR club. I'd so much like to have the 'in the field' feedback and other advantages digital can bring.

Still shooting film. I keep bouncing back-and-forth between wanting to switch to digital and not. I've been out with friends who shoot digital and it's been my observation that they spend a LOT of time looking at their camera-backs.

The camera has become a major distraction in the field. I can name several times when I got the shot while they were in transition from looking at the camera and trying to get their eye up to the viewfinder. The interesting part of that is, they are *expert* film shooters. Suddenly they are examining their cameras to make sure they got exposure right, when before they knew, what the exposure values should be. Funny.

I thought it was just going to be that way for the learning curve, but they're still staring at their camera backs today. From afar in the field their heads are like popcorn: down to look through the viewfinder, pop back up to look at the camera, back down to the viewfinder to take another shot, back up to see the second shot.

I definitely have salivated over the benefits of digital. Love the instant feedback and how you can tell right there if you got exposure right. I know that's why my friends are looking at their cameras. I poke fun at them with the warmest of hearts (I love them dearly and make fun of them to their face all the time :) I'd love to try digital. It sounds like a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.