Schneider 80mm xl

morey_kitzman

Can anyone advise on the merits of the Schneider 80 4.5 super symmar

xl? I am also considering the 90 super angulon xl 5.6, but think it

might be too close to my 110 xl. I am looking for a wide angle lens

for landscape photography. The 80 xl is much more compact, smaller

filter, less weight for backpacking. Any thoughts are most

appreciated. Thanks.

You just stated all the reasons I can think of to choose the 80 over the 90.

I had a 90 and 120 which I replaced with the 110. My next choice was the 80 for the reasons you mentioned in your post. Mine is a little soft wide open making for some diffiult focussing at times but stopping down one stop solves that problem.

There have been several discussions on this site about the 80mm ss-xl lens, including problems with its softness wide-open. You might do an archive search, you'll probably end up with more info than you need. One question for MARK WINDOM: does your 110mm have the same softness-wide-open problem as your 80mm? I'm considering adding the 110mm to my set-up.

What more, the same CF can be used on the 47, 65, 80, 110 mm, although technical specs would advise a two stops CF for the 47 and a 1 1/2 stops for the 3 latest. Half a stop doesn't make a lot of difference and I use the two stops CF (easier to calculate for compensation) on the 3 lenses I have (haven't had the $ for the 80XL yet and still using a Super-Angulon 90 who's CF and pola weigh together as much as a lens). Using a CF on the 110 is advisable when much movement is used. They will also take the same additional polarizer, I just found a nice B&W pola with 86mm fitting for the CF and 105mm front rim on Ebay. But the first trials show that a compendium is needed to avoid flare with all that extra glass added. My 110 is contrasty and not soft wide open. The 80XL softness issue seem to be tied to an early batch.

I asked the same question last year here:

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0037Lz">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0037Lz</a>. Definitely read Kerry Thalmann's response at the bottom, and the other thread he references. I eventually chose the 72mm Super-Angulon XL, since I like to do some architectural stuff and wanted the extra coverage.<p>Todd, FWIW, I haven't seen any softness with my 110mm SS-XL wide-open.

I had a 90 and 110XL...I sold the 90 and replaced it with an 80XL. It's been a good move, and I'm more satisfied with the spacing. I've heard about the softness problems with the first batch of 80s; mine is very sharp, but I didn't buy it for over a year after it came out. If you buy used, you'll want to be careful.

Todd, my 110XL is very sharp and is one of my favorite lenses...it's consistently one of the best-liked lenses, it seems. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it very highly!

Todd: My 110XL is very sharp wide open. It's the best LF lens I have ever owned.

Even though my 80XL is soft, particularly at the edges, when wide open it sharpens up quickly as I stop down. At the usual working apertures (f11-32) I have absolutely no complaints. Even though I bought it new about a year ago it's serial number suggests it is a fairly early version.

Morey: It seems to me that because the 80 has an f/4.5 opening we all get bogged down with that big opening. I'd look at the f/4.5 opening as a freebie, but in reality the f/4.5 is for looking not for taking. The 80XL still is an f/5.6 if apples are to be compared to apples. Schneider are quite honest about it and tell us it is soft at the largest opening so if you read the MTF data there should be no surprises. Compared at smaller openings, the 80XL is almost as sharp as the 75mm SA, which according to the data is still a superb lens. I have that lens and it is so extremely sharp that I do not see any advantages in the 80. Also the 75 is a little further from the 110 and will give you something different enough to make it worthwhile carrying the extra weight.

Good luck!

I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I am now leaning toward the

72 xl, thanks to Tom. I like the larger image circle it offers compared to the 75 sa. On certain close-up shots I like wide angle, something I have used a great deal with my Mamiya 50. I would also like to add that the 110 xl is a superb lens. I have a 40 x 50 Light jet enlargement of Delicate Arch taken with the 110 and it would be difficult to imagine it any sharper, great contrast as well. Again, thanks to all.