M4-2, Film speed setting ?

kphaam81

Hi everyone,

I have just signed up tonight and have been fascinated with the

Leica Forum. I'll be able to learn a lot from all of you.

I just bought a M4-2 and a M6-TTL, I could not figure out how to

set the film speed on the M4-2. The M4-2's film speed dial is

different from the M6's. I don't have the M4-2 manual unfortunately.

Please show me how. I'm also interested in getting a manual if

someone out there has one for sale.

A lot of thanks

Thank you all. I'm still confused. Technically a shot is based on the speeds of the film, the shutter, and the lens. On the manual camera such as the Nikon Fm2 there is still the ASA dial, even the Nikon semi-electronic F3. The automatic ones ,point and shoot for instance, of course do not have one. How does the M4-2's film speed work differently from the M6's ? Bert, thanks for the website. The manual does not mention about the film speed.

The M4-2 does not have an exposure meter, so there's no need for setting a film speed. Shooting well exposed pictures with a meterless Leica M like the M4-2 (or any other meterless camera) requires a handheld exposure meter or an educated guess. The Nikon FM2 and Leica M6 do have exposure meters built-in, thus these camera's require a battery for the internal exposure meter and consequently have a film speed dial you must set. Note that there's no place to insert a battery in a M4-2.

Kent, That dial is only to <I>REMIND</I> you of what film is in the camera. It serves no other function. Some photographers use to carry more than on camera, and would have different film in each... maybe ISO 400 B&W in one and ISO 64 color-slide film in the other. The dial made sure that they didn't use the wrong camera after metering for a specific film with an external meter or exposure chart.<P>

That dial spins, but is not connected to anything in the camera. On those other cameras that you mention, like the FM2, the ISO dial is directly connected to the internal meter, so it does have a function towards arriving at the right combination of f-stop and shutterspeed... depending on the film's speed.

Kent,

The dial on the back of the M4-P and M4-2 doesn't actually spin or move at all. As Charles suggested, you can mark the ASA you're using on it, if you so choose, but unless you find a writing tool to use that is both eraseable and will not mar the surface of camera back, you're better off leaving it alone and noting your film type somewhere else.