textured art paper for ink jet printing

Seconding Crane Museo Max. Beautiful paper, wide gamut, and it handles heavy ink loads better than pretty much any

other paper I've encountered.

It's a very subtle vellum texture, though... If you're looking for something more obvious, Hahnemuehle's got that market

cornered as far as selection goes.

If you're willing to roll your own, InkAID or Golden inkjet ground plus the textured art paper of your choice. You want two coats of the ground, 12 hours drying time for each coat. You can get a white ground or a perfectly clear one that lets the original paper color show through, and after a coat of fixative you can layer on an assortment of acrylics. It's also possible to apply them to gel layers that can be floated off and applied to other materials, rather like a transfer, or to non-porous substrates like plastic or metal. Look up either on inkaid.com or danielsmith.com. Daniel Smith has a considerable assortment of art papers, including watercolor papers, rice papers, Thai handmade papers, and so on.

Thank you to everyone who replied. It is wonderful to get such great feedback based on real life experiece. Charles, I have used successfully the ink-aid products on various art papers and it works very well. I've even coated pellon (better known as interfacing in the fabric store) with acrylic gel, then the ink-aid and put it through the printer. I particularly enjoy the new irridescent products.

I'm looking to standardize some of my printing practices and I'm trying to settle on a paper that will handle my fine art figure images well. I'm going to try a few of these papers and see what works best.

Thanks again for all of you who took the time to reply.

Linda Carlson