How do you carry your 300mm f/2.8?

colin_fieldgate

I have just got myself a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L USM IS lens - wow!

However, it doesn't fit in my Lowepro Mini Trekker - even on its own

when empty! Its just not deep enough to take a lens with a diameter a

little more than 6" with the hood reversed and the "lens cap" on.

So, I tried a Nature Trekker - it still didn't really fit and allow

the dividers to be used. Also none of the larger bags seem any wider

which would allow it to sit neatly down the centre attached to my EOS

1v - even though some are supposed to be able to take a 600mm f/4.

My questions is then - how does a guy carry one of these lenses

around - surely not in the hard case it comes in (but that's what I'm

doing at the moment!)?

I thought I might try the Street and Field system - does anyone know

if it fits in the Lens Case 5 and is OK to carry on the Deluxe Waist

Belt?

Looking for help from those who actually have solved this problem.

What you need is a "long lens bag" such as those made by Domke, although I am sure other manufacturers make comparable models. These bags allow you to carry your camera with lenses such as your 300mm mounted with the lens face down. You can probably carry the lens in the bag safely even without the camera attached. BTW, Domke bags are marketed by Tiffen so you can go to their website and check it out. Try the other manufacturer's such as Tenba and Tamrac if this approach appeals to you.

Hi Colin,

I carry mine in the bottom of my Photo Trekker. When the bag is fully loaded it has the following items (and weighs about 45lbs) Eos 1V, Eos 3, 17-35 2.8L, 50 1.4, 100 2.8USM Macro, 70-200 2.8L, 2X tele, 15 russian fisheye adapted to EOS, 550EX, and a sekonic light meter. I rarely carry all that stuff, but it can be done with a few well placed pieces of bubble wrap and the supplied dividers.

The 1V stands at the top of the bag right in the curve, the 17-35 is on one side and the 100 macro on the other. Then the 50 and the lighjt meter share a compartment, and the 2X tele and fisheye share a compartment with some bubble wrap to buffer. The 3 is in it's own compartment. The 70-200 is in the upper center of the bag, and the 300 2.8L IS is cross ways across the bottom of the bag. I usually work my film in around the mount end of the 300 to make use of the space, and reduce movement. If you send me an e-mail I will shoot the bag with my G3 and send you the image. I also carry most all of the same gear on a Kinesis belt system, yes even the 300. Richard Stum at Kinesis was very accomodating and allowed me to try out a few different pouches and then return the ones I did not want. They are at kinesisgear.com

Mine fits just fine in a Lowe "Photo Trecker Classic" with a body attatched and another body above that... and is still within size limits for airport carry on.

And it spends maybe two or three weeks a year there. Other than that, i just wrap it up in a jacket or a towel when i transport it in the car, and carry it by it's strap or on a mono/tri pod once i am out and about.

I would look into the Kinesis L311 long lens case that holds the lens with a body on it if you want decent carry and protection. Very comfortable to carry. I have one of their setups for carrying a camera/booster and up to a 70-200 2.8. It works great and is very comfortable to carry.

My lens has had a pretty full life already. If i had a spiffy new one, it would be in a Kinesis bag.

www.kinesisgear.com

"If I had one, I'd make my girlfriend carry it."

She has her own to deal with. She uses some old long discontinued Lowe bag with the inside dividers ripped out so the lens fits in it, and uses the strap to carry it otherwise. Hers is a Nikon, but i like her anyhow :^)

Actually, I tote mine in a Mini Trekker. It's clear that Lowepro didn't design this bag with a 300/2.8 in mind, but I think the fit is acceptable. The lens diameter (with hood) is a bit deeper than the pack's inner depth, and it's marginally wider than the space between the length-wise dividers, but the bag closes easily without any zipper kung fu (except if I try to cram a 70-200/2.8 in as well).

Maybe this works for me because I keep little other than flexible flat stuff in the inside mesh-like pockets. Or maybe I'm more forgiving about what "fits".

Systems like S&F look like a great solution, but I wouldn't want a big telephoto hung around my waist. Maybe on the back of a torso harness?

I have the LowePro Trekker 200 I got from Henry's on ebay. I bought it to fit my 70-2002.8 L but went to a local shop to test the 300 2.8 L as I plan on buying it next term andwanted to mek sure it would fit. It does but in order to carry the rest of my gear I will have to carry the 70-200 on a camerqa in my hands. Fine by me. I must say I am impressed with this little LowePro. It is big enough to carry the essentials plus more but too small to carry enough gear to causee the next back surgery. You could buy one art Henry's for 57.90. I just placed the bid at the list price instead of using the buyit now option and after the auction the price including shipping turned out to be the buy it now price. I have to say its the best 60 bucks I spent in a long time. Even with my totally screwed up back.

I use the Tenba LL 300, part of the LL series cases for long lenses. It's a nice padded bag with exterior pockets and straps to hold a monopod. It's a little more expensive, I think I paid around $130 at B&H, but it will hold the lens with body and booster attached. But you still have to reverse the hood, whether the body is on it or not. But I can put the lens inside, lens strap in a pocket under the lid, 1.4x tc and 2x tc in the front exterior pocket and a monopod attached to the side via the straps. It doesn't have belt loops but does have a shoulder strap and handle on top.

Youre posting didn't mention if you're looking to use the bag for general carry or hiking, this bag may not suit your needs if you're wanting to use it for hiking.

I don't own the 300mm but the EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS which fits easily in the Lowepro Dryzone backpack with room to spare. I like the pack except for a minor squabble - because it's waterproofed by a separate, rubber "door", there's an extra zipper to un-zip if I leave it sealed. (You don't have to zip-up the second layer but it defeats the purpose of having a waterproof backpack if you don't.) The thing supposedly floats when fully loaded, but I haven't put that to the test. It can be a pain if you're in a hurry. I've missed Elvis *and* Bigfoot because of this. ...beau :)

I carry mine in a Nature Trekker AW and it fits (with the hood reversed for storage and a tripod quick mounting plate attached to the collar). It fits fine along with two Elan II bodies with their grips attached, 100/2.8 macro, 24-85, 2X converter, ML-3 ringflash, 300EZ flash, off camera cords, a gold/white 36" reflector, gray card and other accessories in the pockets.

It is pretty snug in there, but it has made it with me on a trip to the Amazon and back with no problems. It even fit under the seat on six different flights. I like it snug in the Nature Trekker AW, as too much space and it bounces around and may potentially be too big for carry on.

I have the older, non-IS EF, but the dimentsions are the same.

For most of my location work, I carry mine in a Domke J-series long lens bag, usually with a body attached. My primary 35mm gear goes in a Domke shoulder bag.

For outdoor and wildlife stuff, I carry it (hood reversed) in the center of a LowePro Nature Trekker AW. It usually has both a body and the 1.4x TC attached. I don't bother with the leather "cap" as the hood is always on the lens whenever it is out of the bag.