Do you think the D10 is really worth it?

steve coburn

I wanna know what this D10 is everyone keeps talking about.

One thing to think about, digital prices are falling like stones. If you consider all of Canon's prosumer digital SLR's are esentially digital Elan's (kind of a strech), then the D30 was roughly 6x the price of the film version, the D60 4x, and the 10D is 3x. If you consider a 1v with a power booster is about $2000, then you are getting the 1D for 1.75x. It is also interesting if you look at it that way, the 10D is the first camera that is CHEAPER than a film camera in the same lineup.

I don't know about you folks, but this is a really exciting time to be in the thick of this.

By all accounts, it sounds like Canon may tweaked the manufacturing process as well. This means the D10 may be available in quantities that it may sell a little under $1,500 once the initial pent up demand is met. A D10 for say $1,350? Sure. I am very intrigued by notion of a DSLR with my EF lenses. I've heard many people say that they are "liberated" as the previous person said and it does accelerate the learning curve. You can shoot, and DL to a desktop/notebook and know what you did wrong or right in minutes versus days. You won't have to worry about a lab. I think digital will be as exciting as the days since I did D76 and Tri-X in the basement darkroom. At $1,500 it's a bit pricey but it's certainly better than $2,300 or $4,000 for the 1D. We are seeing Moore's Law applied to cameras. Next year, the D15 will either offer full frame or closer to full frame, more pixels or a Foveon sensor for $1,200. One day, a DSLR equal to the Elan will sell for $400.

1. Digital vs. film

Digital does provide for a 'liberating' experience, and I agree that it pushes photographers to be more creative. In December I was using my Uncle's D30, and it was great fun. I also used a D30 during the Caribana Festival in 2001, and I was amazed by the quality of the images. I am quite sure that using a digital camera will help me greatly improve my photography, if not because of instant results, because I will be more inclined to try different things and further develop my skills. It really demotivates me when I have 8 rolls of film to scan and I know that I'm going to spend my evening loading and unloading the film holder. Sure, with digital I'll have to download all my images onto the computer and then tweak them and burn them to a CD, but at least it will be more gratifying.

Seeing how the D60 was hailed as superceding film in many areas of use, I can imagine that the 10D will only reiterate the fact that digital is the way forward for most people. Considering that I never enlarge my photographs to more than A4 size, the 10D will be wonderful.

2. Motivation

One of the many great things about digital is that if you're working on a semi-professional or professional level you quickly recuperate any costs incurred by the camera, in terms of time saved as well as film processing and scanning costs. I currently use an old Canon CanoScan 2700F and it takes me hours to scan my 35mm photographs - and that's not even using the highest resolution settings. Sure, I could buy a new scanner, but it would end up costing as much, if not more than the 10D. As for medium-format film, I pay approximately USD 4 per image scan + USD 4 per CD + processing costs using a local Fuji Frontier lab.

3. Justifying the cost

I've recently started contributing to a local magazine, and the 10D seems like an excellent solution to increase my productivity and lower my expenses - and I know that the 10D will provide more than enough resolution. I'm sure that it will make things that much easier when it comes to taking photographs, because I won't have to worry about what film I'm going to use or about processing and scanning the pictures. For example, when I worked at the Caribana music festival, I shot 20 rolls of ISO 800 colour negative film which I had processed in a one-hour lab and then proceeded to scan every single image at 680 DPI. I then had to chose which photographs I was going to keep and tweak them. It took me days. A photographer I was working with shot the whole thing with a D30 and D2000. In between concerts he would go to the press office, download all of his images to his laptop and proceed to select the ones he wanted to use. It took him a couple of hours per night.

FWIW, the 10D is hardly an "Elan 7 with a digital back." The 10D does inherit the Elan 7's AF and exposure subsystems, which I'm sure will be a big step forward from the D30/D60. But the Elan 7, good as it is, is not made out of magnesium alloy.