film changing tents

tim_atherton2

I've got the pup tent - the one recommended for 4x5. My postal scale says it weights in at 1 and 7/8 pounds. That's everything, tent, poles, stuff sack.

The pup tent is pretty deep - doesn't quite fit on a hotel room table. I routinely cycle film through 10 film holders in it, with lots of room to spare. I would think that 8x10 might be tight, but certainly doable.

That said, I just found the data you want on the web site:

http://www.cameraessentials.com/OptionProductDetails.asp?Products_Action=Filter%28%22%28name+%3D%27Harrison+Film+Changing+Tent+%2835mm+or+8+x+10%29%27%29%22%29&Products_Position=PAR:

It says the 8x10 tent is 2.5 pounds.

Hi Tim,

<br>

You might want to give them a call:<br>

<br>

Will Harrison<br>

Harrison & Harrison <br>

1835 Thunderbolt Drive, Unit "E"<br>

Porterville, CA 93257-9300<br>

USA<br>

Phone: +559-782-0121<br>

Toll free within the USA only: 877-213-6787<br>

FAX: +559-782-0824<br>

Office & factory hours: 7am to 3pm Pacific time zone<br>

Monday thru Friday <br>

<br>

Do you have a link for the pdf catalog?<br>

<br>

Thanks

I had bought the standard tent, and promptly returned it. I swear I could have fit into it. And, for traveling I thought it takes up wayyy too much room in the backpack. It would not have fit in the top part of my F64 BPX pack (the Pup one barely does). Then, I read a traveling with LF article by Nathan Congdon who says he uses the Pup tent for 8x10. It is considerably smaller. I confess, I have yet to use it, but it's in my bag for my trip this weekend.

-Jen

Tim, If you are looking for a lightweight solution (for 4x5 / 5x7), I just purchased a Photoflex changing room from Badgergraphic and it's only 1 1/2 lb. The floor size is an oval of 20x16" (could be too tight for 8x10) but the walls are straight up (cube). It folds in a second like the Photoflex reflectors and holds in a 20" circular bag 1" thick and seem very well made, with two layers. It's also inexpensive.

Tim, the total weight for the 8X10 tent , including the stuff sack, is probably closer to 3 lbs. These tents were designed for changing movie film rolls out on location. After struggling with changing bags for many years, I bought a Harrison Pup tent a few years ago. It has held up very well under some rough usage. It's a real pleasure to use, well worth the additional weight and bulk.

First, Harrison and Harrison isn't the same as Camera Essentials - Harrison, so a good job I didn't call...

then:

"I have yet to meet the motel

bathroom that cannot, at night, be turned into a darkroom with a roll of tape.

You can even do it sitting down."

Maybe in you're average sleazy, all built from the same set of Lego N. American motel, but I enjoy small European hotels and B&B's whose bathrooms have a nice view... It would take quite a bit of duct tape to block out the nice view you have from the "throne" out of the wiondow and across the valley to the beautiful city of Bath :-)

Hi Tim,

As much as I wanted a harrison tent I just couldn't afford one. Once I converted the cost to Canuck Loonies I decided to look for alternatives. I was in Crappy tire the other day and found the answer to my prayers.....a hockey equipment bag! It's rubberized on the inside. By gluing big light tight flaps over the zipper (which is on the top) and kept down with velcro, no light gets in. I ripped the arms off of my old changing bag and sewed them on the hockey bag. Gluing some material over my pathetic stitching prevents light from entering. The bag is stiff enough that it won't collapse in on itself. It measures about 1 metre long, 40cm wide and high. Lots of room for 8x10 holders, fresh film box, and exposed film box. Collapses nicely too. Altogether cost me 40 Loonies!

I would agree that counting on hotel bathrooms doesn't work in the long run. It was after climbing out of a wardrobe in South Africa having lost about 2 kg in 45 minutes trying to load film in the only light tight place I could find in a B and B that I vowed to buy a Harrison tent. The smallest ("Pup") tent will in fact work for 8X10. I have used it satisfactorily for that purpose for years. I also own their monster tent modified for 12X20, but don't always take it on trips due to space considerations. The "pup" is easy to drop in to just about any pack.

Best regards,

N

Tim.

I just bought a Harrison last year and used it extensively for

loading 4x10 film in the field on about 10 5-day trips in the

Colorado Rockies. Here is what I found:

1. What ever the weight ( 2.5 to 3 lbs), Harrison has struck the

right balance between durability and weight. I suspect this tent

will last me for a life time. My tent has been snowed on, hailed

on, and rained on, and it has held up well. I recommend seam

sealing the joints.

2. I do not like the floor material. It is made of nylon with no

coating and it is slippery. A rubber coating would go a long ways

to reducing static charge and keep things from slipping around. I

recommend that you wipe down the floor with a wet sponge prior

to loading to remove dust and static charge.

3. I have not been able to load film on my stomach with the tent

on the ground. It is okay to do a few sheets that way, but when

your unloading and loading lots of film it is not practical. I have

since made a platform consisting of two sheets of 1/8" plywood

that my llama carries. The two pieces bolt together to form a

table top the size of my tent. There are looped bungee cords on

each corner to hold the tent in place. I can turn the table-tent unit

upside down and lean it up against a tree to help protect the tent

from the elements. Or I can lay it on my llamas two saddle packs

to form a table for loading. Once it is up, it stays up for the period

I am in the mountains. The entire configuration weighs about 6

lbs. which includes a can of compressed air. Not good, but very

practical and functional.

If any body can offer me a better way of doing this, I would LOVE

to hear from you!

Hope this helps

I've loaded film in hotel bathrooms, hotel closets, hotel utility rooms, under hotel sheets (if you layer the sheets and blankets and turn off the lights, it gets pretty dark under there), in the back of my light tight Eurovan (don't have it anymore), in caves, but NEVER on a platform on top of a llama.

Got to get me one of those tents.

By the way, I've realized that I do something very strange when loading film, and I've heard others say they do the same thing. No matter where I am loading sheet film holders, whether it is in the dark, in a changing bag with the lights on (even in caves), while I am loading the holders, I keep my eyes closed. Must pe a photo/psycho thing. People have told me I'm nuts. Could be they're right.