Help Needed - Mamiya M645 battery chamber

mariusladner

Hi there,

I just bought a Mamiya M645 and I‘m trying to insert a battery.

Unfortunaley I‘m unable to open the battery chamber.

The manuals I found online say I have to push a cover latch wich isn’t there...

I included a picture of the bottom of my camera and would love some help of this community.

Thanks in advance

Marius

image.thumb.jpg.9b0c0bb06ee753589567d47d33c34bd7.jpg

There were a few different 645s.

The J had a circular button to the right of the battery cover, as this one does. Pretty sure one of mine is like this and it is a 1000.

You have to twist the button in the direction of the arrow (clockwise) and the cover should spring open (if I remember correctly!)

The red arrowed thing is part of the body casting and doesn't move!

As Kendunton says, the battery cover latch is the circular thumb-button. A simple rotation in the direction of the arrow should spring the battery cover open.

Speaking of springing. It's worth springing a bit more cash for a Lithium version of the 6v PX28/4LR44 battery. You'll get far longer use from it than from an alkaline version.

You're lucky to get that version of battery cover latch BTW. The alternative sliding latch was a bit delicate and exposed. It's broken off on one of my M645s, and the battery cover has to be gaffer taped in place. No biggie, the camera still works after 30+ years of use in my ownership.

...and don't forget to tremove the battery if you are not using the camera for a wee while.

645s are notorious for draining batteries - there is no actual off switch and having to put in a new battery every time you use it becomes annoying and expensive.

645s are notorious for draining batteries

Really? I dug my old M645s out of a lengthy lay up recently (>2 years), and most of them still managed to light up the 'Battery Good' LED.

What does kill the battery in double-quick time is forgetting to turn off the metering prism.

Also, turning the speed dial away from the red Auto circle to a fixed shutter speed probably puts less drain on the battery.