Are you an ethical photographer?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“I think you're painting with a broad and vague brush. If you have an issue with what someone has said in this thread, quote it and respond to it. Be specific in your critique. Otherwise, your accusations are incomprehensible to me.”

So much for practicing what one preaches.....

Same old conflicted psychology.....

But at least I don’t use the magic button.

;)

The catalyst for taking it was the backlight. The catalyst for processing it was a No Words thread whose theme was buttons. The catalyst for posting it here ... too multifaceted to go into, though the proximate cause was to riff off Inoneeye’s dexterous pushbutton street encounter.

Jim’s been a peacenik since his youth, though he also served. He still goes to demonstrations and rallies, hobnobs with code pinkers, and reads his poetry at cafés and bookstores.

I consider it a very ethical photo. No animal or vegan was harmed in the course of its creation.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

I expect people who go to war probably appreciate Peace more than the rest of us.

It is, anything else beside, still a great photo, and I really like it. I expect you had to do a bit to the eyes in post...?

I think he, inoeeye, was ambivalent about the encounter.

I suppose it was ambidextrous......

"

I think he, inoeeye, was ambivalent about the encounter.

?

The humor went by me undetected. but what I questioned was the highlighted statement because I felt no ambivalence about the encounter then or now. So i was curious what the visual cues were for your 'ambivalent' interpretation. It may be an insight that i would find valuable. The ambiguity I refer to presents an ethical challenge to the viewer/myself. ambivalence not so much.

Ambivalence & ethics resonates like a slippery partnership.

n e y e

I would expect to have mixed feelings about someone waving me off as I snapped their photograph.

The wave off elicits reservation but at the same time makes the photo what it is.....Common human reaction that candidly plays into the journalistic nature of the photo.

Edited by Moving On

of course, and he certainly is part of the 'ethics' subject now. I had pushed his button unwitting-ly, not for photographing him tho. I was photographing the building & posters. He didn't want me to photograph them. Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

It is, anything else beside, still a great photo, and I really like it.

Thanks.

I expect you had to do a bit to the eyes in post...?

At the time, I was less experienced and remember being proud for nailing a tough exposure. Still did some tweaking in post, though, yes.

"You talkin' to me?"