Arts and Craft Shows

ian_whitehead1

Does anyone have any input on selling prints at arts and craft shows.

what sizes of prints seem to sell more than others, do b/w prints

sell better than color for those doing both? I shoot landscape only

and am interested in any info on successes or failures. I like 30x40

prints myself but are they practical to sell at shows?

Interesting question,

As you probably know my part of the world, Northern New England, is craft

show heaven. I have often thought of exhibiting/selling at the larger more

prestigious shows in New Hampshire (e.g. the annual League of New

Hampshire Craftsmen show, the Hanover show) but am still undecided. Over

the past few years I have talked at length with photographers who do exhibit

and sell at these shows and have reached the conclusion that the type of

prints that sell best are prints that I would rather not sell at all. Here, for what

it�s worth are my very unscientific observations:

1) Prints that you can produce/sell for under $25 (e.g. smaller lower resolution

mass produced inkjet prints) sell.

2) Animal and wildlife prints sell well. Typical New England scenes sell too

but not quite as well as animals and wildlife.

3) Matted prints from a bin don�t sell at all unless they are in the inexpensive

category above.

4) Framed, matted prints sell best.

5) True �fine art� prints, meaning hand produced prints of the sort for which

you would expect to pay upwards of $200 (sometimes way up depending on

the photographer and the process) don�t sell very well at all. Here I am talking

about the sort of print in which, either in your darkroom time or your out-of-

pocket direct expenses for the time of your printer, have cost you some real

$$$ before you even get to matting and framing.

Having said all that it may still make sense to participate in a select few of

these events each year just to get your name and work known and seen. For

example, the annual league of New Hampshire Craftsmen�s fair mentioned

above runs for a week and attracts many thousands of viewers/buyers.

I have exhibited at these events more or less for 20 some years and I'll agree with all that Ted Harris has posted. The impact of the subject matter is the main attraction regardless of print size or technique. Framed and matted prints, ready to hang, sell best; again regardless of size. Planning the transportation and protection of a lot of these prints is crucial. Many events are out of doors so be prepared for rain. Wind is a worry as well (30x40's think they are kites on a windy day:). Show space is usually tight at the good exhibits so I am not sure how many 30x40's one could expect to display, but there is an old adage that says, "You have to show 'em to sell 'em!"

Many buyers are thinking of gifts, so events in the Fall stimulate Christmas purchases. Subjects of local or regional interest work best at shows that attract tourists, I have never sold scenes of the Canadian Rockies in Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee, or North Carolina. 99% of these events are on weekends and it takes much of the preceeding week to prepare, especially if you have sold well at the last outing. It is virtually impossible to predict success from show to show or from year to year. Some are complete failures while others are more rewarding. Practice sales and people skills. Whatever the situation, you have the opportunity to show your work to many people in a short time and you will be practicing free enterprise in its oldest form, the public marketplace.

Ian I follow the shows locally and talk to many if not all the

photographers. I'll show up both days for a weekend event and

make it a point to talk to the photographers again late in the

second day and ask how they did. Responses always range

from good to bad, so it really depends on what you are selling.

In the last show i went to there was one photographer that was

doing very well and selling quite large prints. His subject matter

was alot of European village scenes, such as streets and

doorways with alot of flowers, some diffused, as well as

diffused shots of female models in various scenes and state of

attire. Some of the prints had that manipulated look as being

more painterly. I did notice that most of his customers were

women. His 8x10 bin of matted prints was priced at something

like $65 ea or 3 for $90; He sold quite alot of those. It appeared

that he might be shooting velvia from the saturation of his prints.

He was the best selling artist there with the next probably being

a couple different wildlife and New England landscape

photographers followed up by a couple of artists doing dark

moody B&W prints.

If anything go to the shows and talk with the artist and observe by

sitting and watching for awhile. Also find out how to apply for the

next show. Remember that you are judged for entrance so get

your pictures duped on slides.

• 5 years later...

<p>I found this post because I was going ask a similar question but wanted to see what has already been said. I have been a nature photographer for over 20 years, but never ventured into the craft fair arena. Tonight thought they thought popped into my head as I was reading a back issue of the PSA Journal. They were talking about selling photos on consignment, but they only preperation they talked about was shrink wrapping the image to a piece of cardboard and displaying them in local markets.<br>

Since this magazine originally appeared in 1993, I figured things have changed. Now I see that this sort of thing does not sell as well as in years past, but do you have to go all out and have a frame shop frame your pictures? Will your sales be effected if you just go to a store such ask A.C.Moore and pick up stock picure frames off the shelf? Do you have to go to the framing section and have the guy build you one, with a custom mat?</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>Frederick, if you're still there, my answer to this would be NO. From what I've seen, there is a huge variety of presentation at local shows here in Florida, and there seems to be just as huge variety of customer attitudes. I too am just getting started with printing and framing my work, and from what I can see, it seems that the prices for pre-made frames, with mats, just seems to be much better and more "doable" than getting a framer to custom frame prints. The cost is prohibitive, and unless you own your own framing tools and want to learn (or already know) how to frame your work professionally, I suggest you stick with the frames that are available. Since it has been a few months since your post, I'm guessing you've already had a chance to look at prices. They aren't bad. If I guess correctly, you can frame your own prints (ordered from Costco or printed at home) for about $20 to $30 each (depending on the size), and sell them for $10 to $20 profit each. If you buy your frames at the very cheapest prices, when they are on sale for 50% off, you'll have bigger profit margins with smaller outlay of cash. That's my plan. Wish me luck!</p>

<p>The biggest problem I see in "showing" prints at local art fairs is the cost of the space. If you don't sell a lot of prints, you're likely to lose money or just break even. Then again, if you were to start your own gallery to show your work, the same thing could happen. That is most likely the reason galleries are so difficult to get into. They only want to display work from artists who have a reputation they can leverage to sell the artist's work. Somone who has never been heard of (like most artists) is normally too much of an unknown and therefore more of a risk. I equate it to acting. Getting somone to give you a chance is difficult, unless the work you can show them is so good that it's obvious (to them) that you're going to be a great success story some day.</p>

<p>Good luck to you Frederick. I wish you all the success you deserve!</p>