D30 Vs. D60

tim_carpenter1

Tim, The average selling price of a D30 is around $900-1,000 used (reference Ebay), the New 10D will be priced around $1,499 . I would also assume the price of the D60 will also drop with the release of the 10D. Unless you have an extraordinary deal for a used D30, I would either get a used D60, or save a little more and grab a new 10D.

Depends what you want to do with the images. The D30 is perfectly fine, indeed way overkill, for web images. It can produce excellent 8x10 images. If you want bigger prints or you want to crop images, the D60 is better.

It's a price/performance issue. If money is a factor (and I assume it is for most of us!) and you can get a D30 for $500 or a D60 for $1000, it would not be an easy or obvious choice.

The only significant improvement from the D30 to the D60 is the 6+ megapixel maximum file size. IMO, if you don't need that, find the best deal you can on a mint D30.

I've shot with a D30 for a year, and it is a very capable DSLR and a blast to use. Even the much-maligned autofocus speed is fine under all but the darkest conditions, if you use fast glass and the right technique.

Regarding maximum image size, I almost never shoot in RAW mode, yet get superb web images and 8" X 10" prints. The D60's 6+ megapixel files would just fill up my hard drive.

I wouldn't buy a D10 (if you can even get one in the near future) until the early production problems (and there will be some) are solved, and until users make it clear whether it really is significantly better than the D30/D60.

I saved $800 by choosing the D30 over the D60, enough to buy two fast primes. My free advice? Get a used D30, and treat yourself to some fine lenses, a shooting trip to Death Valley, a 19" flatscreen monitor, or an Epson 2200 printer with what you save.

I bought a used D30 and sold it for what I paid, anticipating a D60, which took 9 months until I got one. Looking at the specs of the 10D I wouldn't necessarily mind selling the D60 but not if I have to wait another 9 months, and not if I have to take the gas pipe on it. I'm sure a lot of the few people who actually *got* D60's will feel much differently, so I'm not expecting a flood of used D60's to hit the market. The D60 was rather a low-production camera, so prices of used ones will have to be less than a new 10D but not that much, and not before there's a plentiful supply of 10D's. In the end, the maximum print size should be your deciding factor. If you only occasionally want anything over 8x10, a good interpolation program might be more cost-effective.

I'm not sure how many issues there will be with the 10D. I pretty much feel its a D60 with the issues fixed rather than a whole new camera.

As for D30 prices. Never seen one for $500 but getting close to that sounds reasonable when you look at where it sits. You can get 4 or 5 Mpxl P&S cameras for less money, and with the 10D at price of $1500 the D60 will probably hit the $1000 mark.

When you say 'move into the DSLR world' do you mean from SLRs or from Digital P&Ss. If you've never played with digital maybe a cheap P&S would be better so you can decided how well the digital thang works for you.

The D30 is excellent and I don't think you would miss the extra 3 megapixels. I have a Powershot G2 (4 megapixel) as a backup and the images from the 3 megapixel D30 are richer and smoother than those from the G2. I've printed out 8*10's from the D30 that I was very pleased with. Believe it or not I have an EOS3 and due to the flexibility and immediacy the D30 provides, I really don't use the EOS3 much at all. However, since I'm going to be shooting some weddings (that demand the best possible resolution) I've decided to upgrade to the 10D. Please noone shoot me for advertising but the link to the auction for my mint condition D30 that ends this Sunday is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30020&item=2915718917&rd=1

Where can you get a D30 for $500? Well, talk to me in about a month or two and I might be able to let you know. $500 may be a little low if you include all the accessories, but even with the battery, charger, cables, software, manuals, strap and box I'm guessing the price won't be much than $750.

With the 10D at $1500, I'm pretty sure that used D60 prices will very soon sink below $1200 and D30 prices should soon be well below $1000.

I'm seeing ads for D60s "as new" right now for $1800! Wishful thinking I'm afraid unless you can find someone with internet access who is living under a rock and hasn't heard about the 10D. Even at $1400 you'd have to be crazy or desperate to go for a used D60. $1200 is the highest reasonable price I'd buy at right now.

I have a 10D on order. I'm not sure when I'll get it or whether I'll sell my D30 or not at this point.

I've owned both a D30 and D60. Functionally, they're almost clones. Image quality for both is superb. In addition to resolution, the only noteworthy difference is the loss of ISO 1600 on the D60 and the way the D60 handles noise in long exposures (see dpreview.com for details).

Here's my two cents. Although you may not need 6MP today, realize that even greater resolutions will be availible shortly, so if you opt for a D30 it's going to seem anemic pretty quick. The 10D, offers some advantages in autofocus and build, but is really a D100 catch-up. I'd opt for a used D60, but hold out for a decent deal from someone upgrading (no, that won't be me). A D30, would have to be a steal IMHO to be a consideration.

I'd disagree. Between a D30 and D60, if you're not looking to make prints over 8x10 the D60 has little advantage.

The advantage of the 10D (I hope!) is that it should have better AF, a wider AF zone (7 points), ISO 3200 capability, lower noise, better battery life and a number of other features missing from the D30/D60

As you say, the D60 is virtually a D30 clone, with a higher pixel density sensor. If you don't need the extra pixels, there's not much reason to pay the extra for a D60.

<i>With the 10D at $1500, I'm pretty sure that used D60 prices will very soon sink below $1200 and D30 prices should soon be well below $1000.</i>

Bob, I believe your prediction is right on. A recent Ebay auction showed a D30 and 24-85 lens go for $1,125--about half what it cost new.

If I were to wait two years, I'm sure I could get into digital photography much cheaper, but I've decided to jump into the mix as soon as my 10d gets delivered. The ship date is supposed to be April 5, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Just wanted to add, I was having the same concern about D30 vs D60. It finally came down to cost for I'm in Canada, the exchange rate made my decision to go with the D30. I got it off ebay for $510.00, it took a week to find on but worth it. I'm looking forward to this camera for its replacing my A2E, they seen to be very close.