Plaubel Makina 670 Bellow Question

Hi,

i'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing Plaubel Makina 670, the camera is in normally working condition and everything is tested by trusted experienced plaubel repairman here in Austria however there's some "bad looking shape" spot on the bellow, take a look at the picture, is this purely aesthetic or it's something that i should worry about

Thanks!

20190410_162535.thumb.jpg.13901648066dcce6883c72c8303ecba4.jpg

Quick test - shine a light into the open camera in a dark room and see if the bellows shows damage.

I think the best way to tell for sure is just to shoot a roll of film in it on a bright day and let the sunlight fall on the bellows from a wide range of angles...

Temporary patches can be made with some flexible (when it dries) black paint.

"Fabric paint" can be found at hobby and fabric stores.

• Like 1

Quick test - shine a light into the open camera in a dark room and see if the bellows shows damage.

I think the best way to tell for sure is just to shoot a roll of film in it on a bright day and let the sunlight fall on the bellows from a wide range of angles...

Temporary patches can be made with some flexible (when it dries) black paint.

"Fabric paint" can be found at hobby and fabric stores.

Hi,

Thanks! the camera has no light leaks

If it is light tight, it should be OK. You can try to straiten the folds out. The bellows got poked (probably a finger or something), it's pretty easy to do, and got closed without straitening the bellow, and it has taken the new folds. Depending on the shape of the bellows, it may be more prone to leaking there (more folds).
"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

i got the camera, already did couple of rolls on it, and the camera is absolutely beautiful! a little bit awkward to hold (not because of focus dial) but being too careful not to crush the bellow

the one issue i find is that, the 120/220 film selection lever is almost impossible to switch, it's soooo hard that i broke 2 of my fingernails only to try to switch it, i know, nobody shoot 220 anymore, but still i would like to know if it's very hard like that or simply mine is not normal

These cameras are the very definition of "collect, but don't actually use" at this point. Its a minor miracle that you found one with good transport mechanics, clean lens, good meter, good shutter, good struts AND good bellows. Don't push your luck by forcing the 220 setting: no user of this camera today would ever need it. I'm jealous of your precious find: enjoy it! The latter-day Plaubels were a wonderful concept, great fun when they work properly.
  • Like 2

Thanks guys for keeping me away to do such a stupid things

Yes i'm very blessed to own such a camera, it even came with original box and a leather bag/wallet and strap, with a 1 year service warranty from a local shop who has access to plaubel expert in salzburg

I'm still getting used to the workflow, small things like turning the focus knob to infinity before collapsing the bellow, double strokes mechanism and In fact i got a fat roll on my first one, and i had to make extra care that i load the film carefully and tightly, than it's all fine

I did even sold my Mamiya 6 for this camera, yes mamiya 6 has sharper lens, but i personally think that the makina 67 offers more beautiful result, i consider to sell my hasselblad 500 as well, but for some things i still trust my hassy more, let's see after a while if i still think so

Yes i'm very blessed to own such a camera, it even came with original box and a leather bag/wallet and strap, with a 1 year service warranty from a local shop who has access to plaubel expert in salzburg

Jonathan, congratulations! One of my friends had a Plaubel a few years ago, and it took superb photos. I hope you have much enjoyment from yours!

• 7 months later...

After several years of various digital cameras including Leica FF RF cameras ( and I wouldn't part with them) I decided several months ago to look into medium format film.

I acquired a very nice Bronica ETRS with prism finder. I was. so impressed with the images from this 6X4.5 camera I started looking into acquiring a 6X7 or 6X9 with a rangefinder. I was lucky to run across a very clean fully functional Makina 67 for a very good price because the light meter did not work. That did not bother me since I have a trusty Gossen meter. So far I have taken only one role with Ektar 100 film. Several shots didn't come out due to operator error ( the old lens cap still is mounted malady I'm sure every RF camera user has suffered from time to time), but the images that did come out were really breathtaking in sharpness, contrast and color as scanned by my Epson 4990 with SilverFast software. It is now loaded with a roll of Tri X and I am going after some subjects I think will do well in B&W. The Makina 67 is a great camera and maybe I'll be able to get the meter battery compartment repaired.

A no-frills straight forward camera like the Makina really gets me back to basics where the only software programming goes on in the shooter's head.