Need help with Wista metal field camera.

allan_jones1

Anyone who is willing to help me with the calibration markings on the rail of

the flatbed of a Wista metal field camera. Manual was translated from

Japaneese into some very bad broken english and very little information

regarding camera. Would like to correspond via email...thank you.

Allan Jones at jonesallan24@hotmail.com

You might call or e mail Bob Salomon at HP Marketing and ask about this as well as the possibility of maybe getting a better manual if Wista printed any. HP Marketing is the U.S. distributor for Wista cameras. It's strange that the Japanese sometimes don't seem to ask an English speaking person to read the translations before they're printed. I have one of those little gizmos that pulls film out of a 35mm cassette. The translation of the Japanes instructions is hilarious.

Allan:

The scale on the bed of the Wista metal field is calibrated for a 135mm lens. In my opinion, it's pretty useless. However, since it is only held in place by two small screws, a custom made scale could be readily attached in its place.

Yes, the translation of the manual is pretty lame. Here's my favorite regarding the use of the swing mechanism: "Generally says, swing operation is to expecting most natural result against object." HUH?!!!

Feel free to contact me offline if you have any questions. Good luck.

O.K., sorry for wasting bandwidth, but after my previous post, I came across this tidbit in my Wista user manual that is too good not to share. Again, this is from the section of the manual dealing with swing movements.

"Occasionally, photographers changing their subjectivity under stress the need of against nature."

The interpretations are endless! :-)

Matt

I should have expanded on my suggestion to install a replacement mm scale. The scale I'm talking about is just placed on using the sticky back. It is good for any lens. This allows you to focus far, note the index on the scale;then focus near, note the index number. If using 4x5, multiply the total mm's by 5. That is the f stop that wil provide the necessary DOF, after you set the front standard to half way between the two noted index numbers. The scale is less than $6.