D850 Focus Shift

william_carnahan

Hi. Still learning my new D850; really anticipating using the focus shift function. The user manual states to use an AF-S or AF-P lens. Does this mean that I cannot use a non-Nikon AF macro lens for this camera feature? Have read some good reviews on alternative macro lenses; much less expensive, too. To test this problem, I tried using an old Nikon 50mm f/1.8D and sure enough, the camera would not allow the focus shift operation. Thanks for your advise. Bill

First of all, I have not used the focus shift capability on the D850 much, but I understand it only works with AF-S and AF-P lenses. In other word, this function is not compatible with older screwdriver AF lenses, as Bill the OP finds out.

I would imagine it should work with third-party lenses that have the AF motor built into the lens, but potentially there could be firmware compatibility issues. You need to check with each individual lens to be certain. I wouldn't broadly suggest whether this feature works or not with all non-Nikon F-mount lenses.

The D850 focus shift works as expected with the Sigma 35-50-85-135 ART lenses as well as the new version of the Sigma 105/2.8 macro and Sigma 150/2.8 macro. Note that they are all designated as HSM lenses (an AF motor built into the lens). I would feel safe in generalizing that Sigma HSM lenses are compatible with the D850's focus shift feature.

Obviously, it is always possible for a future D850 firmware update to invalidate this compatibility, which could be mitigated with a corresponding Sigma lens firmware update via the USB dock. All conjecture at this point.

Edited by photo_galleries

Huh. Thanks for pointing that out - I'd not realised it didn't work with screwdriver lenses. This is a feature I was looking forward to, but it turns out that I've not used it yet. I have used the D850 for macro, but it's mostly involved sticking my Mitakon 20mm on it and shooting bursts of live view so that a combination of hand movement, flowers floating in the breeze and tiny arthropods walking around ended up in a few shots crossing the focal plane; the flip screen comes in handy.

I kind of wish focus bracketing was supported instead, though. I've been tempted to AF-tune all my lenses to front-focus so I can use focus shift for bracketing...

• Like 1