Deep IR conversion on D800; AR filter + many questions

david_r._edan

Seeing how lots of old threads keep popping up, in case anyone else wants to use the Tammy G2 for IR, maybe you'll come back and say whether it's a gem or a goat?

Instead of posting some 'subjective' desert landscapes/tests, here's what I came up with:

1096675833_Tamron24-70F-2.8G2IRhotspots.thumb.jpg.3cae5c372df595d4d752073090ccae43.jpg

So, there are definitely some hot spots but they are not horrible, especially if you don't stop down beyond f/8-f/11.

My Tammy 70-200/2.8 G2 looks VERY similar.

* Their Teleconverter (TC1.4) makes things much worse.

My old Nikkor 300/4 AF-S IF ED is a gem for IR. No hot spots whatsoever but pair it with the said TC and things begin to go south very quickly.

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by david_r._edan
  • Like 1

Would have to disagree with you there a little. I get a pretty sweet 420mm lens whenever I put that TC on my 300mm Nikkor. Image quality is surprisingly good, even by my standards, just, apparently, not in the IR light range. Personally, I have no business doing IR with that TC on the 300mm or the 70-200 lens but I realize that some people would actually consider a similar setup for doing some different kind of IR work. So, I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, so far, I'm having excellent results completely clearing the hot spots using my usual method in Rawtherapee. I've always applied custom flat frames to pretty much all of my scenics, to remove the vignetting. Now, the same technique takes care of the hot spots as well. I get clean photos with no additions to my long-established workflow. Pretty happy with the conversion and the fact that I can just use my existing lenses. But maybe it's too early to be excited, since I haven't really done all that much IR shooting.

At any rate, dealing with a monochrome image, life is so much simpler for me. Those who do false color IR are in much deeper water with regards to hot spots (and other stuff).