Is Canon ``done'' announcing for PMA2003?

bob_jones12

My guess is we are done for the serious stuff. Wouldn't be surprised at some consumer film/digital P&S/printer announcements.

<p>

In fact there were a bunch of such announcements, but they didn't make much of a stir! See <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/html/CIWPRList.jsp?minisite=10000">http://www.usa.canon.com/html/CIWPRList.jsp?minisite=10000</a>

<p>Jim, a new flash can't solve that problem. Flash metering is done by the body; the flash simply emits a burst of light when the body tells it to, at the strength the body tells it to. To incorporate distance information into E-TTL would require a new flash system in the body.</p>

<p>Many (though certainly not all) Canon lenses already return distance information to the body - they have done for years. Apparently, Canon hasn't introduced distance-based flash metering due to patent issues. Too bad.</p>

That would be a surprise Steve, since Minolta recently introduced a new flash system that works on distance information, and their new lenses include a distance system and "D" signifier (sound familiar from somewhere?).

However, E-TTL seems to work very well in most situations on film bodies and with the 1D and 1Ds. The problems appear to be mostly confined to D30 and D60 users, and of course the 10D remains to be seen. I suspect that a lot of the problem lies in users expecting the flash system to magically come out with the right exposure with no work on their part, as there are a fair few D60 users who have learned the flash system completely and have no problem with it. I feel that there may be an element of user error to it. Canon haven't helped matters by not telling anyone how the system works though...